INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EVO as a router -- any comments?  (Read 3865 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
EVO as a router -- any comments?
« on: June 27, 2010, 07:45:35 am »

I'm looking at a couple of Android phones -- the HTC EVO and the Motorola Droid X.  Both phones are advertised as being capable of acting as routers for up to 8 and 5 devices, respectively.

The Droid X isn't yet released in the U.S., but has anyone had experience using the EVO as a router?  Does it work well?

Thanks.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: EVO as a router -- any comments?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 09:13:28 pm »

I haven't done it yet, but may spend some time on it tonight.

The EVO needs rooted to function as a hotspot for free, and I believe it's currently usable as a true access point, and recognizable as such from other devices and will operate at wireless n, with WPA-2 security.

HTC just released the second OTA update for the EVO, and it breaks root, which would kill the AP.  One of the methods supposedly re-roots it, but it's limited.

The updates (the radio and WiMax) borked some of the ROMS, but it seems that's been rectified for the most part during the last 24 hours or so.

I'm averaging about 2 - 2.5 Mbps on 4G, and the new update is rumored to increase that, but I haven't installed a ROM with the updates yet.

I'll probably do it tonight, assuming theres a working solution.

The devs over at XDA are doing some amazing things with the EVO so far, and HTC hasn't even released the source yet (much to the chigrin of many), but once they do, I think you'll see some amazing things happen.

I would guess you'd see something similar with the Droid X, but i have no idea how long it would take to get full access.

So, I highly recommend the EVO, I know Matt could get a portable player with full codec support playback working and there is currently no real competition for that on Android that I can find.  It all sounds pretty hit or miss...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=692956&highlight=media+player

A true portable player for locally stored media, combined with Gizmo, which would play mkv's and flac would likely crash your download servers :)

I think the coming 3 day weekend with be so refreshing to you all that you could have this working by the end of the coming short work week :) :) :)
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:14:59 pm »

Thanks for all the info.

4G... nice.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:18:06 pm »

You're welcome. 

4G is very nice :)

It looks like it's on it's way to you very soon.  I've seen reports of speeds over 5 Mpbs in some areas, so who knows what you'll end up with there.

I had to charge the battery; I'm about to begin flashing now, and will report back when I'm done (keep your fingers crossed :)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:41:41 am »

Okay, so I'm not yet fast at flashing and updating yet, and was quite cautious, but I finished about an hour ago, and tethering works great.  I haven't messed with the security too much, but it doesn't seem to be quite right.  I'm sure it'll be fine once I play with it some more.

Anyway, I just ran speedtest from the laptop tethered thru the EVO and got 4.19Mbps down and .51 up with a 300 ping, the fastest I've actually ever got with 4G.  i'ts also 1:30am, but still, very impressive I think.  might even be able to consider dropping u-verse if that were consistent.

of course, that kills webplay access, but might be worth it to drop the bill.

Anyway, it was not without some difficulty, but mainly just reading and trying, in the end it wans't that bad, and the results are great.

Hope it helps.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 07:57:45 am »

Thanks again.

I got tethering and WiFi access point working on my Google Nexus One last night.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58474.0

I envy your speeds though.  Mine is like using a telephone modem again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up