INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New sleep functionality  (Read 1388 times)

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
New sleep functionality
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:52:53 am »

2. Changed: Putting the system to sleep manually will stop any playback.

Please make this function optional.
I use MC some years in the car (now over spdif connection) and very much it is pleasant to me that after awakenings from a hybernation mode audio playback starts immediately (and I don't have any problems with it immediately playback resume)

Thanks

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New sleep functionality
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:58:56 am »

Not sure if you were aware, but that change was inspired by this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=58293.0

You can't make everything optional and still have a workable UI.  I don't know for sure, but I suspect this is one of those things were you might have to live with it.  I, for one, would certainly rather it not auto-resume on waking from a manually-initiated sleep state.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:25:47 pm »

Thanks for you reply glynor, really I don't see that topic.

I did not just propose to add one more option. For me, such "improvement" - the loss of one of the important functions that I use from 10 versions.
I think this is a very radical solution to the problem described Mr ChriZ.
My experience suggests the possibility of the performance of sleep without stopping playback. MC 15.0.58 perfectly goes to sleep and hibernation during playback of music. I watched the effect, markup described Mr ChriZ when trying to sleep during video playback. The computer turns off the monitor but continues to "buzz". In my case it resolve by pause.

I do not agree with you that this is necessary. For example automotive shell centrafuse ensure a smooth return of the volume continued playing on waking. Foobar, winamp, MPC / HC - all continue to play in the arousing and impede the transition to sleep. WMP - puts pause. In my case - all versions of MC and MJ know how it perfectly. I just spent a few tests - my vaio ux with winxp mode client library via wi-fi play files "from memory instead of drive" - it correctly goes to sleep and goes in hibernation - and then continues to play well.

I hope that the developers will consider less drastic solutions of Mr ChriZ problem

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 02:46:09 pm »

I think it would be safe to remove the 'stop on sleep' change as playback no longer prevents a deep sleep. (only television recording does this)

So coming in build 68:
Changed: Putting the system to sleep will not stop playback automatically. (system will still allow a manual deep sleep (S3) while playing, but Media Center will prevent an automatic sleep)

The Windows documentation is a bit ambiguous about some of the manual vs automatic sleep permutations, so feedback is welcome on the system we're using to manage sleep states.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 03:09:11 pm »

Fine by me.  I generally close MC when I'm done with it, and I generally let my HTPC enter sleep states all on it's own, so this isn't an issue for me at all.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 03:25:00 pm »

Thanks Matt. I will be happy to test any change in this function in all available for me environments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up