INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't record from TV Tuner  (Read 1046 times)

mdshullaw

• Recent member
Can't record from TV Tuner
« on: June 23, 2002, 07:57:57 am »

I am using version 8, beta build .203. I can watch TV channels from my ATI tuner, but MJ wont record. When I start recording from the tuner in MJ, the information under the tv picture says it is capturing zero frames. Nothing is happenning. I have tried changing to different capturing devices as tried different settings, but nothing helps. Is there something else I might try? Could a setting in one of the other video options be incorrect? The problem started when I upgraded to the new 203 beta version. Any help would be appreciated.

Yaobing

RE:Can't record from TV Tuner
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2002, 04:04:02 am »

Which ATI tuner do you have? TV Wonder VE? ALL-IN-Wonder?

mdshullaw

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2002, 07:47:38 am »

I have the TV Wonder VE. Also, when I use MJ to watch a TV program, then I have to do a reboot before I can use ATI's own media software to view or record from the tuner. ATI will say it cannot initialize its drivers. Only happens after I use MJ to view TV channels.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2002, 08:12:11 am »

Not sure if you mean 8.0.203, but make sure you're using at least 8.0.293. (which is the version on the download page)

Thanks.

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2002, 08:30:03 am »

Both problems seem to be ATI driver problem. I will try to find a work around for the recording problem.

mdshullaw

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2002, 09:12:04 am »

I'm using the latest beta, version 302. With the latest non-beta version, I could not even get into capture options menu without MJ crashing. The beta version lets me into the capture options now, and I can select different capture devices, but non of them will let me record. It acts like it wants to record, and the frame numbers come up under the picture, but it just stays at zero and never advances. Strange. I really like MJ, and hope the problems can be fixed, because the is no other media player, freeware, shareware, or commercial, that even comes close to the ability and quality of MJ.

Yaobing

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2002, 02:40:08 pm »

There is now a work-around for the recording problem with ATI TV Wonder VE cards. I did not finish it early enough for it to make into build 309 today. Should be in the next build.

If you can not wait, drop me a line at yaobing @ jriver.com and I will email it to you.

What you will need to do to avoid the recording problem is to make sure the check box "Capture Closed Caption to File" is unckecked on the Configure Capture dialog window. I believe this is a problem with ATI's driver. I will be in contact with ATI. The other problem that you have, i.e. ATI Multimedia Center will not start after MJ TV has been run, also seems to be an ATI problem. I do not have a work-around for that at this time.

mdshullaw

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2002, 05:13:21 pm »

Hey, a HUGE thanks! The tuner now records perfectly. Question - What in your opinion, is the best capture device to select in MJ's setup? I am using the DivX 5.0.2 Codec right now, which seems to work fine, but I was wondering if any others work better, or produce smaller recorded video files? Thanks again for the help. Being able to record from the TV Tuner in MJ, is really handy.

Yaobing

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2002, 07:29:02 pm »

DivX seems to be the best in terms of producing smaller files. MS MPEG-4 should work about the same. Both of these requires fast computers. Using a 400MHz Pentium II, both of these can not capture at high frame rate. There are always dropped frames. Faster machines would help.

PicVideo MJPEG is fast, and it will keep up with 30 frames/sec, but the file size is large.

mdshullaw

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2002, 07:53:21 pm »

So far Divx seems to be working fine without dropped frames. My computer has an Athlon-XP 1.4 gig cpu in it, and I am using an ATI Radeon 8500 video card. Everything seems to be working pretty good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up