INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything else besides Slingbox?  (Read 17643 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Anything else besides Slingbox?
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:20:22 am »

I've had it with my Slingbox. I moved to a new house and this time have a media room upstairs with the main router/setup downstairs. This required a 100 foot Cat 5E network run to a switch in the media room which I then disperse throughout the room. Slingbox support says it should only work for maybe a maximum 20 foot ethernet cable. Of course they want to sell me their SlingLink which will guarantee it will work with the distance.

I'm not interested in watching any videos on my computer, just simply my DirecTV DVR. Are there ANY options out there similar to Slingbox?
Jeff

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
Re: Anything else besides Slingbox?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:04:50 am »

a dedicated htpc in the media room?

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 10:08:36 am »

I'm guessing there must be programs since you mentioned it. How would I watch the hptc over the Internet?
Jeff

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 12:58:03 pm »

it would be helpful if you would enumerate everything you want to do and from where.

dcwebman

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:42:15 pm »

It sounds like you may not be familiar with what a Slingbox is. You can see about the functionality at: http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd
Basically, you connect devices up to it, DVRs in my case, and then via the Internet (or local LAN if desired) you can watch and control those devices with a simulated remote control just as if you were at home. So in my case it's watching using their desktop program or they have a website area (which I haven't tried yet) that supposedly can do the same thing. There is also a mobile program which I probably wouldn't be interested in, but it is a nice feature.
Jeff

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:14:11 pm »

I know exactly what a slingbox is.  In all of it's many incarnations over the years.

Your first post didn't mention half of what it is capable of.  So I asked what you are trying to do.  And from where.

If you require 100% of what slingbox can do then say so.  If it's a subset, say that as well.

Can't read minds.

dcwebman

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 08:03:36 pm »

Thanks for the replies.
Jeff

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 03:27:46 pm »

So do you require 100% of what Slingshot can do or a subset?  And do you need/want to do that with one product or a combination?

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 07:19:40 pm »

What I want is to be able to watch my DirecTV DVR over the Internet, whether that be live TV or things I taped. Whether that's one product like the Slingbox or multiple products, that is what I was originally asking.
Jeff

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 02:42:04 pm »

a company called monsoon multimedia is advertising for pre-orders on a machine they say can replace your dvr, slingbox, and roku as it somehow can talk to all set top boxes and sat receivers.  specs look kind of cool.  It would be tres chic if the reality matches up to the specs **and** if MC could somehow integrate with it.

http://monsoonmultimedia.com/

and as far as a diy thing, cetron is finally shipping their quad cablecard tuner.

of course the thing that slingbox has going for them is a semi-open dev community and their integration.

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 04:47:42 pm »

Looks interesting. Thanks for the info.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up