INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External subtitles  (Read 1582 times)

morrison

• Galactic Citizen
External subtitles
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:41:14 pm »

I've noticed that lately command JRiver has made several changes to the work of subtitles. Added a great opportunity to select the subtitle language by default, etc.

In this regard, a few comments about subtitle (external, with built-in container all OK) when using hardware acceleration of video playback.

We used to use DirectVobSub filter in MC for external subtitles. Good filter, but unfortunately the use DXVA video decoders prohibits additional filters in the chain.

The only (?) way for accelerated video playback remains CoreAVC decoder with its CUDA playback engine, devoid of such restrictions. But this filter has at least 3 drawbacks - the acceleration works only on cards NVIDIA (DXVA support all modern video adapters), no support for VC-1, and paid.

Recently, it has a good alternative - free DXVA video decoder FFDShow. It supports accelerated playback h.264 and VC-1. Module subtitle ffdshow supports external subtitle files without DS filter.

Unfortunately, MC does not control subtitles via FFDShow filter. Is this possible in the future?
Today's most popular audio switcher is FFDShow audio decoder, and MC fully supports it.
Perhaps the subtitle module of FFDShow (which is also available as a separate filter) would be a worthy replacement of obsolete DirectVobSub? Or perhaps we are working on internal filter subtitles MC (as implemented in many other players)? It would also be a good solution.

from MC change list:
"11. NEW: Preliminary. Srt and. Sub subtitle support for the DLNA server. The subtitle file should be the same name as the original video file in the same path with either a. Srt or. Sub extension depending on what your renderer supports . Tested working with Popcorn hour. Needs more testing. The number of renderers that support this seem limited. "

I would like to have this feature and for the Library Server too.

DLNA network receives more functional than the Library Server. Customers with a disabled "play local file if one that matches library server is found"  also can not use any external subtitles. Although they have a MC! instead of functionally limited DLNA devices ... )

Maybe I'm wrong and there are other working solution? I would be happy comments.

Thank you for your attention, as always forgive my bad English

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: External subtitles
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 02:01:39 pm »

I fully support you!

In my opinion the only real solution is implement in MC a built-in subtitles engine that work with all the DXVA codecs out there (Cyberlink, DivxHD, FFDSHOW DXVA, Arcsoft?).  Other apps solved fastly this issue just implementing the free open sourced MPC HC subtitles engine. Can you give us a word about this Matt?
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Lasse_Lus

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: External subtitles
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 03:15:33 pm »

I would like to have this feature and for the Library Server too.

..me too  :)
MT5FR
Pages: [1]   Go Up