INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play in Media Center  (Read 1751 times)

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
Play in Media Center
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:58:06 am »

When I double-click an image in Windows Explorer, MC opens in Display View and show the image clicked. However, the other images on that folder are not selected and I can not browse them (play buttons are useless, actually)

Is it possible to configure MC to select all images from that folder (when double-clicking a image in Windows Explorer)?

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Play in Media Center
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 04:17:50 am »

A double-click in Windows means "open." If the command is to open one file, that's all MC can and should do. If you want to open more items, select them and use the context menu to open them all. If the file type is associated with MC, you can just use "Open." Otherwise, enable shell integration and use the MC context menu to "Play" them. You can also select and play folders this way.

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:34:39 am »

A double-click in Windows means "Play in Media Center", and I expected to play the whole folder... I am used to others applications, and I think it is useful the way that applications handle it.

MC shell integration does not resolve the issue, since "Play in Media Center" still means "Play THIS FILE in Media Center". I am forced to select them all and play...

Anyway, I understand your point... but I think is interesting to consider how and why other apps work the way they do...

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:21:58 am »

Twice this last week I viewed someone else's photos on my computer using their USB flash drive. MC will play them all if I select all the files and then right click and use the shell integration to Play in Media Center. However, usually in this situation, I just right click the first picture, click Open With, and select Windows Photo Viewer. That way I don't have to select all the photos - especially when they are in a folder with other file types. It would be nice to be able to use MC to browse pictures without importing them or having to select them.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:17:35 pm »

It would be nice to be able to use MC to browse pictures without importing them or having to select them.

Currently, one item can be opened by double-clicking. Multiple items can be opened by selecting them and using the context menu. And an entire folder can be "browsed" using the same technique. So what is it you're suggesting, and how would it be implemented without messing up these existing capabilities?

MC is a media manager. As such, it does pretty much everything Explorer does, and does it better. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with using Explorer, and expecting some reasonable degree of integration. But if the choice is being made to use a file manager for some aspects of media management, then perhaps more should be expected from it. I use Directory Opus for file management. It's rich feature set gives me a better choice of what part of my image management routine I handle in it, and that which I handle in MC. So, for example, I use it to download photos from my camera, cull the bad ones, and fix the orientation of the rest—all before importing anything to MC. If I didn't have DOpus, I might do everything in MC. But I wouldn't choose to use Explorer and then complain that MC's features aren't readily available.

Twice this last week I viewed someone else's photos on my computer using their USB flash drive.

Why not view the flash drive using Drives & Devices? That would be much more efficient than using Explorer and Photo Viewer, especially if the purpose is to import some of the photos into the library.

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 03:40:17 pm »

I use Directory Opus for file management. It's rich feature set gives me a better choice of what part of my image management routine I handle in it, and that which I handle in MC. So, for example, I use it to download photos from my camera, cull the bad ones, and fix the orientation of the rest—all before importing anything to MC.

This is just ridiculous. I did a usability suggestion, and you seemed offended by it. MC was grate the way it is, and it was a design decision and bla, bla… I recall your words:

First, many committed users are making very effective use of the program for managing photos. Contrary to being "too complicated," it's a lot simpler and easier to use than some other more advanced image manager/editors out there. […] Second, instead of asking yourself why the program doesn't work the way you think it should or the way some other program does, ask why it is designed the way it is. Consider the possibility it's because it was designed by a very talented development team who takes into account the advice of many experienced and committed users. […]

But, after all, you confess you don't use MC for primary edition (select, rotate). I don’t understand your attitude. You don’t use it. I don't use it either. And I doubt many users do. And you don't like someone  suggest to improve that.

But I might be wrong. Maybe, someone prefers the hard way. Does anyone uses MC to rotate images (just downloaded from camera)? What application do you use?

Niebla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 04:37:45 am »

Currently, one item can be opened by double-clicking. Multiple items can be opened by selecting them and using the context menu. And an entire folder can be "browsed" using the same technique. So what is it you're suggesting, and how would it be implemented without messing up these existing capabilities?

It could be an option in the "Options" dialog...

However, I think it is unnecessary. If you want to see a single image, you will. The clicked file would be the one shown. If you want see the rest, you could also. The Previous/Next buttons are available.

That feature would not mess anything.

SeaDrive

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 03:17:59 pm »

I agree with the photo navigation suggesstion. MC is set as the default for images and I want it that way. However, my wife uploads her photos from her camera and intuitively clicks on a picture to view it. She then expects the next and previous buttons to scroll through the image folder exactly the same way that the Windows image preview does. To the average user it makes no sense why this doesn't work but to us it does. It may not be a bad idea for an option to allow loading of the entire folder into playing now rather than just the selected file. Initially I can see a benefit to images but I haven't thought abaout it enough to realize if there would be a benefit to any/all other media types.
Pages: [1]   Go Up