INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing library on server from client.  (Read 4830 times)

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
Choosing library on server from client.
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:14:52 am »

When i have my local libraries, I can go into the menu "File-Library-Load library" and choose any of my (currently) four libraries. Is it possible to do this also when connected to a library server? I have a library server with 4 libraries setup, and I want to choose between them from the client.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Choosing library on library from client.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 10:43:47 am »

+1

May I add... the ability to password protect them if we want to.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 10:44:22 am »

this is not what you mean ?

MT5FR

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 10:46:01 am »

Library Server can serve only the active library. You would need to use a remote connection to the server machine and load the preferred library before connecting Library Server. I use UltraVNC for that.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

flac.rules

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 07:10:37 pm »

Library Server can serve only the active library. You would need to use a remote connection to the server machine and load the preferred library before connecting Library Server. I use UltraVNC for that.

Hmm, thats too bad, I would go so far as to call it a showstopper for me. This makes changing the library quite big of a hassle when running a library server.

HTPC4ME

Re: Choosing library on server from client.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 07:19:44 pm »

Hmm, thats too bad, I would go so far as to call it a showstopper for me. This makes changing the library quite big of a hassle when running a library server.

yuppers. especially when people use theaterview.. what are we suppose to do, have cheat cheats laying on the table, and in every room for people to switch to there library.. that wouldnt be the smartest thing especially when showing off jriver to guests (Potential customers). i guarantee my friends and family would have NO CLUE how to use remote desktop, and those that have seen me do it, all say the same thing... to much work.

i use vnc as well. and im skilled in it and it's quite troublesome. esc, leave theaterview, goto standard view. goto vnc wait to load, in vnc switch library wait to load, go back to htpc load library wait to load, then goto theaterview.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 11:43:21 pm »

yuppers. especially when people use theaterview.. what are we suppose to do, have cheat cheats laying on the table, and in every room for people to switch to there library.. that wouldnt be the smartest thing especially when showing off jriver to guests (Potential customers). i guarantee my friends and family would have NO CLUE how to use remote desktop, and those that have seen me do it, all say the same thing... to much work.

i use vnc as well. and im skilled in it and it's quite troublesome. esc, leave theaterview, goto standard view. goto vnc wait to load, in vnc switch library wait to load, go back to htpc load library wait to load, then goto theaterview.

I agree.  I wrote up a (LONG) post on my ideal solution to this problem here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57440.msg392278#msg392278

and tried to condense it further, but never got any feedback.

Anyway, I think to solution is to take the "visual" part of MC and make it a profile.  Make the media part the server.  MC internally manages the connections, much like it does now, but shift responsibilities around a bit.

Each user/profile connects to an always on Server and any profile connected sees their media their way (views, ratings, playlists, stats, etc), many profiles can connect at the same time, and they all have the ability to make changes to the Server that stick.  Server always knows what's changed and feeds the current info to all profiles, in real-time.

the Server just feeds the profile whatever media it requests, and MC manages all the connections, conversions, and codecs behind the scenes.

It might be a bit difficult to implement (maybe not, it's mostly all there and working now, it just needs re-arranged), but it would make MC usable for my Mother, and that should be the end goal, IMHO.
pretend this is something funny

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:44:34 am »

Well Written. And I Like that Additions You Mentioned!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 07:58:41 am »

Thanks, I'm glad someone likes the idea :D

I really do think it would make the whole media experience easier and usable by a LOT more people.

What do you want to play?  Music, Video, TV, Images, other

Where do you want to play it?  Zone 1, Living Room, Patio, etc

each user has their own views and tags and MC just manages the details of the connections in the background.

it would need setup by someone "in the know" at first, but a "wizard" could be enough to let my Mom get it started.

Right now, MC is really limited to "geeks" that want to constantly fiddle with settings that aren't terribly well documented, relegating MC to a very small subset of potential users :(

I tried to show my wife how to watch TV in the bedroom with her laptop last night...

"Okay, it's pretty simple, start MC, select File, Library, Connect to Library..."

(enter the IP address) - "don't worry, you won't have to do this part every time"

Connect

"Oh wait, let me fix the extra zones you're seeing" by going into options and unselecting DLNA Controller under Media options so you don't see the zones multiple times.  "don't worry you won't have to do this again."

"Okay, now go to Devices and Drives, and select Television."

Her: "Devices and Drives???  Why?"

"Because that's where TV is, I don't know why.  Okay, click on Television.  Now you'll see the TV schedule, but you can't watch Live TV, you can only watch recorded TV.  You have to click here where it says recordings.  Here, let's pick this one."

Her: "How do I fast forward?"

"You click ctl-shift-right arrow to skip forward 30 seconds at a time"

Her: "What?!?!"

"ctl-shift-right arrow, all at the same time to skip forward 30 seconds, like this..."

Her: "Why isn't there just a fast forward button, like the remote control?"

"because there isn't, this is how it works with this program."

Her: "Okay?!?  I want to watch this show instead."

"Okay, just select it and hit watch.

Then the video stopped moving, the sound never changed, the new program never started.

I explained that it's not quite perfect yet.

She laughed, told me to leave, asked me how to make it stop/close it, then went to youtube and searched for the program she wanted to watch.

She won't even bother with it again, and I'll still be paying for cable, because it just works :(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 08:06:55 am »

Try Theater View.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:55:21 pm »

Thanks Jim, but she just wants to watch a TV show while doing other stuff on the same computer, so theater view won't really work for that :(

Also, theater view sort of requires me to modify a lot of tags and genres to get things to group together so they can be more easily found.  I will need to do this anyway at some point, but don't have the time to do it now, just so she can pick some TV shows.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 04:48:55 pm »

...Long dialog from JustinChase...

There are some good ideas here, but some of it is not fair or correct.

Her: "How do I fast forward?"

"You click ctl-shift-right arrow to skip forward 30 seconds at a time"

Or press left and right during fullscreen playback.

Her: "Why isn't there just a fast forward button, like the remote control?"

We support remotes.  Get one.

And there are position controls at the top of the screen if you like the mouse.

My three year old daughter starts and watches recorded television from Library Server on a laptop.  I'm not saying we couldn't make it easier, but did I mention she's three?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 04:51:13 pm »

My three year old daughter starts and watches recorded television from Library Server on a laptop.  I'm not saying we couldn't make it easier, but did I mention she's three?
How old is she?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 07:35:56 pm »

There are some good ideas here, but some of it is not fair or correct.

I'm not sure what you felt was unfair or incorrect; but it was certainly not my intention to be unfair or inaccurate; I was trying to be honest and helpful.

Or press left and right during fullscreen playback.

She doesn't want full screen playback, she wants to watch in a window, while doing other stuff.  However, even in full screen, the fast forward and rewind don't show current position, or moving images, or a progress bar, or give you any real idea where you are in a program, not in any reliable way.  Sadly, it's just not up to par :(  Every other DVR I have ever used does this fine.  I know you can improve this :D

We support remotes.  Get one.

There's no easy way to conveniently use a remote with a laptop.  She doesn't have an IR receiver on her laptop, she doesn't want another remote laying around (neither do i), and I don't want to spend another $35 to get another remote.  Additionally, isn't the remote just invoking the same commands as the shortcut keys?  it would end up "working" the same way, but I'd have one more thing to manage in my life.

I'd MUCH rather give you $35 as a TV upgrade add-on pack and have this just work properly, and not have another piece of hardware in my life.

And there are position controls at the top of the screen if you like the mouse.

They are not visible in the windowed view, which make them of little value in this situation.

Although this is impressive, I don't imagine she skips commercials, watches while doing other stuff on the same machine, or expects much from this setup; I would guess she's just happy to see SpongeBob dancing around :)

She also cannot select programs to record, delete programs she's done watching, or rate or tag them, or watch live TV from her laptop.

How old is she?

Again, I'm not here to bash MC, I think it's a fantastic software program, and have paid for it since at least v8, maybe v7, and have paid for every upgrade along the way.  I've also recommended it to countless people, but very few have purchased, because it's just too cumbersome to use anywhere near all of it's capabilities.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 07:38:01 pm »

Does your 3 year old Daughter also have permission to Watch... the Exorcist, Caligula, Showgirls, Adult Comedy, Standups,  Basic Instinct, 9 1\2 Weeks The Unrated Version? and those are just R rated and above, i've not even listed PG-13's

My Son is 9. and Due to KIDS learning faster about technology then we did when we were younger (Well Most of us AVERAGE People) is JUST starting to learn how to switch libraries on BOTH machines because dad gave STRICT ORDERS he is only allowed to watch his library. (yet he is still hesitant to do all the steps due to being 9 and not 3 and having fear of breaking "dads stuff" ) (Now To Ask my son to set it all up from scratch, one library, remote desktop on 2 machines, router settings, how to connect once setup, close the library he's on, change the library, close remote desktop, open jriver, change library...HA)

If Justin's wife has questions,concerns, or better yet the inability to understand.

Please do Entertain me.  i'd love to see a utube vid of a 3 year old being able to accomplish these tasks i've outlined, that our parents and grandparents future customers of yours don't know how to accomplish when trying jriver out on my system...  Especially setting up remote desktop connections and getting into there own routers.

Everyones entitled to there opinions, concerns, questions and wishes, and the way they raise there kids but personally I think it's Important that my kids are not allowed to see Adult Material... pics audio, vids. hence why I too have asked for this in past releases, jumped on board on topics others have brought up and will continue too.

If it's not feasable at this time, then it's not feasable and thats a nice reply and a fair reply in my book. I And Others Can Only Hope Technology changes where this could be implemented somtime in the future.
Thanks For Listening.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 07:50:28 pm »

I was trying to have some fun with the daughter comment.  It was meant in good spirit, but sorry if it didn't come across that way.

She doesn't want full screen playback, she wants to watch in a window, while doing other stuff.  However, even in full screen, the fast forward and rewind don't show current position, or moving images, or a progress bar, or give you any real idea where you are in a program, not in any reliable way.  Sadly, it's just not up to par :(  Every other DVR I have ever used does this fine.  I know you can improve this :D

Left and right work in windowed Display View as well.  It shows the position.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 07:55:02 pm »

I removed some of the cross remarks above.

I'm on Matt's side here.  He wasn't bragging about his daughter.

In my opinion, Justin was a little flippant.  Still, he made us think.  Hopefully, we'll all end up in the same place.

Personally, I plan to be here on Friday:
http://www.anamandara.com/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 08:08:02 pm »

Justin,
Are you in Austin now?  Didn't you start in Omaha and ride to Mexico with a friend?

Send me an e-mail.  I'll send you a remote.  No charge.

Jim
jimh at jriver

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 08:10:53 pm »

I should probably stop trying to be funny, but this keeps coming to mind:

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:20 pm »

Matt, I realize that you were trying to be funny with the daughter comment, and it didn't really offend me, it was more Jim's comment making me feel like "it's so simple a (3yr old) caveman can do it", and that my wife and I must be stupid to be having trouble, it was just a little condescending to me.

However, I know typed messages can't convey intent well, so I think I just took it too much the wrong way, my bad  :-X  Sorry

I should probably stop trying to be funny, but this keeps coming to mind:

yeah, that's a funny picture, but I was thinking more along these lines...

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the position in the windowed mode; but it's likely because I'm just not getting enough bandwidth to play a video right now; I'm not sure why, other than being on wireless G :(

In my opinion, Justin ... made us think.  Hopefully, we'll all end up in the same place.

I'm glad to hear that it may have helped progress this towards a happy ending for everyone :)

Justin,
Are you in Austin now?  Didn't you start in Omaha and ride to Mexico with a friend?

Send me an e-mail.  I'll send you a remote.  No charge.

Jim

Yeah, that's me :)  I actually came to visit y'all some years ago (before Matt had a daughter), but you weren't in the office that day Jim.  I was bummed we didn't get to meet; but the rest of your crew was very welcoming and we enjoyed some pool and brews right down the road from where all the magic coding happens :)

Yep, after about a year and a half traveling Canada, the US, Mexico and Central America on the bike, I settled in Austin, and the weather is much improved over Omaha!!

I really do appreciate the offer to send me the remote, honestly, but I have to decline.  I really would rather wait for MC to offer the functionality to make it unnecessary to use a remote, and not have the extra hardware sitting around (I think I already have 1 or 2 that could be programmed).

Seriously, I do appreciate the offer, it's very generous, thank you.

I hope to see MC's television capabilities improve in time, and hope that Cavemen will one day be able to control recorded TV too :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 10:50:34 pm »

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the position in the windowed mode; but it's likely because I'm just not getting enough bandwidth to play a video right now; I'm not sure why, other than being on wireless G :(

I think you must be using a detached display.  But please try Display View in windowed mode instead.  This is our recommended approach for playing windowed video.  

Detached display is for advanced, specific uses.  It shows no controls by design.  It is for tasks like powering a projector on a second monitor while DJing on the first monitor.

In a perfect world, we might be able to merge the two but I think we should save that discussion for another day.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 06:10:41 pm »

I think you must be using a detached display.  But please try Display View in windowed mode instead.  

I am using detached display.

I can change to display view, but it just goes to full-screen, I can't find any way to change it to "windowed mode", how do I do that?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 09:11:53 pm »

I can change to display view, but it just goes to full-screen, I can't find any way to change it to "windowed mode", how do I do that?

Click the windowed button at the top right of the floating player.  It should work like any maximized window.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 09:22:09 pm »

Ah, okay, I thought you were saying it was a special mode or setting  :-[

Is there any way to change the minimum size the window can be made.  I can only get it to about 1/4 the screen size, give or take.

I'm used to using the detached display at about 1/2 that size or even less sometimes.

Many times TV doesn't usually warrant so much screen real estate.

flac.rules

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 02:20:30 pm »

Hello, this thread has a lot of replies, but quite a lot is not about the original question. It would do wonders for a server-based setup to be able to choose between several server-based libraries. Is this a dead horse, or do you think its feasible that it will be featured in the program? As of today I still have to use windows sharing for my setup, because of the inability to use several libraries with the library-server-setup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up