INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The one thing I'm missing from WebRemote is...  (Read 2094 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
The one thing I'm missing from WebRemote is...
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:47:05 pm »

...a way to seek in Playing Now. Ie, jump forward 30 secs, back 10 secs in the currently playing item. 

I think all it needs is a link for "jump fwd" and "jump back" under the "Control" heading in the Playing Now screen.

Could this be added please?
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
Re: The one thing I'm missing from WebRemote is...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 03:10:23 am »

It's not really missing - it's just not provided in the default theme/appearance. But it is easy enough to add to the WebRemote HTML.

See http://brianavid.com/Avid2/ScreenShots/Music.PlayingNow.htm for a screenshot of my own (almost ready) theme.

Brian

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:24:56 am »

See http://brianavid.com/Avid2/ScreenShots/Music.PlayingNow.htm for a screenshot of my own (almost ready) theme.

Neat!

I hope you share once it's ready.  Also, think about if you'd have any interest in having your theme included with the program.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:57:27 am »

I'm certainly planning to share.

And I would have no objection to it being bundled as user-contributed content. My older remote control development included components that are still being shipped with Promixis software on that basis. But I am not convinced that it will be of great general use since:
  • It is only for an iPhone - it is designed for touch.
  • I'm not yet happy with the way I handle the layout. I suspect it would not look pretty on an iPhone4 - too much hard-wiring of offsets.
  • The "Home" button at the top actually takes you to a different web server on the same server, hosted by Girder. The transition is invisible to users, but makes it not completely self-contained.
  • The button designs are "borrowed" from RobH at Promixis. I haven't yet asked him about redistribution. He's probably OK with it - but he could say no.

That said - it might be a good starting point for a similar custom development. And once I release it, the MIT License I use lets anyone do anything (as long as it's not my fault)!

BTW, have you tried clicking on the buttons in the screen-shot image? Try Queue or Library (or the top-right "Home").

Brian

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:47:47 am »

Oh .. and for raym ...

CORRECTION - The original href had been simplified too much. Now corrected  :-[

The +10 button can just be a simple HTML link that you can add to the default appearance. It links with href="javascript:download_refresh('MCWS/v1/Playback/Position?Position=10000&Relative=1')"

The "10000" means 10000ms == 10 seconds. Use "30000" instead if you want 30 seconds jump. The "Relative=1" means "jump forward". Use "Relative=-1" for backward.

Brian

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 05:24:21 pm »

Thanks Brian. That's great!

I still think this should be included in the default theme though.
Z-Wave Home Automation

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 06:55:00 pm »

PS - I love the slider control in your skin also. I look forward to you sharing this  :)
Z-Wave Home Automation

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:17:06 pm »

That looks great, nice work! 

If you don't mind me asking, what program are you using to create and design your remote software?

I'd very much like to do something similar for my Android device; and use the mandatory Home, Back, Menu & Search buttons for those controls, and free up the space along the top for more graphics/controls.

I know little/nothing about programming, or graphic design, but I'm not stupid, and I am motivated to get something working on my new phone, so I'd love any advice you have about getting started on my own similar project.

If there are any files or tips you can share with me, I would very much appreciate it.  If not, no problem.

Keep up the good work, and maybe when you're finished I'll find an old iPhone to use as the remote for inside the house :)
pretend this is something funny

avid

• World Citizen
  • MC user since 2003
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 03:30:00 am »

That looks great, nice work! 

If you don't mind me asking, what program are you using to create and design your remote software?

I'd very much like to do something similar for my Android device; and use the mandatory Home, Back, Menu & Search buttons for those controls, and free up the space along the top for more graphics/controls.
Thank you.

If you click on the "Return to" link icon at the bottom of the screen-shot and then through to "Software" you will get some idea of how it was put together. But the gist is that the whole think is just HTML/CSS/JavaScript and can be created using any text editor. I happen to be using Expression Web, which is a "proper" web design tool - but that's simply because I already have it. A text editor (NotePad or NotePad++) is really all that's needed!

It should be possible to do something similar for Android. But I don't know about its oddities. The iPhone certainly has its own oddities, such as Apple-specific <meta> tags to control the display (such as to hide the address bar and browser buttons). Also, I am not sure if a browser is allowed to use the Android hard buttons - they may have their function fixed by the OS and not available for other uses.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up