INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 15.00.80 problem ripping cds  (Read 1830 times)

kgosfm

• Recent member
MC 15.00.80 problem ripping cds
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:18:16 am »

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but I've got a little issue on my new computer (AMD six-core processor & ASUS mobo, running WinXP Media Center SP3), with a Samsung  SH-B083L BD / DVDRW drive, and when I rip a CD, I can only get a rip speed of about 10x in MC15.  Since this is a brand new computer, I just downloaded the trial version of MC15, and I intend to upgrade to the full version if I can get this one issue resolved.  Is this a trial version cripple?  I don't think the drive is the issue, because I get up to 40x on Musicmatch Jukebox Plus v10.4033, and in the 30+x in Windows Media Player 11.  Has anyone had a similar issue?  I really like the functionality of MC 15, but this speed issue could be a deal killer.

Thanks for the help,
Steve G
Staff Musicologist
KGOS-FM Studios
None of the hits, all of the time.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 15.00.80 problem ripping cds
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 02:07:31 am »

im not sure what the standard settings for ripping with mc are now, thought it is secure, you might want to check what is under tools>options>cd & dvd>cd ripping. when it says it the mode is secure, set it to normal, that would speedup things, but you might loose the pros of using secure ripping.
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/CD_Settings#CD_Ripping

:)
gab

Vincent Kars

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:23:32 am »

Speed 10 sounds like a reasonable value to me when using secure mode.
Do expect ripping speed to very between 3 and 20 when using this mode.

A simple experiment is to rip the same CD using WMP.
If you set WMP to secure mode too, you will obtain likewise values.
It is simply the performance penalty you have to pay if you want the best possible copy of the CD content.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 04:50:16 am »

The secure mode in Media Center is a real, re-read capable secure mode. In the recent MC15 builds it is on by default. The secure mode rips each sector at least twice and if they don't match it tries to re-rip up to 16 times. If that fails the event is logged.

In addition, the secure mode in MC has a mechanism that can detect if the drive caches audio (cached data would invalidate the re-read results) and defeat the cache. Also this feature can affect the ripping speed.

If you set WMP to secure mode too, you will obtain likewise values.

AFAIK, WMP doesn't have a real secure mode. It is always in the burst mode and can't "go back" to verify the result. The "secure" setting in WMP may slow down the drive a bit, but it interpolates the unreadable sectors and does not provide a report.

In general, all drives are not equal in terms of secure ripping speed. Some time ago I started a "test your drive" thread for gathering user recommendations:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59038
Please contribute!

EDIT

The "Normal" ripping mode in MC works in the burst mode and should provide similar speeds with the other insecure rippers. Tools > Options > CD & DVD > CD Ripping > Drive [letter] > Copy mode...
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kgosfm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »

thanks for all the input.  I did discover the "Secure" mode (in secure mode it only burned at 5x), so I turned it off, set to normal, and then got the 10x. 

Wow!  I just updated to 15.00.95 and it apparently fixed the problem.  I test ripped the same CD, and got almost 30x rip speed.  Good enuff.  Thanks again, everyone! 

I guess I'll buy the full version after all, LOL.

Steve G
Staff Musicologist
KGOS-FM Studios
None of the hits, all of the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up