INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Execute Command After "Generic" Handheld Sync  (Read 1151 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Execute Command After "Generic" Handheld Sync
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:11:10 am »

This is a relatively simple feature that would help me out dramatically.  I'd really love it if we had the ability to define a shell command (exe or script) that would automatically execute after a "generic" handheld sync completes (when you sync to a folder on a drive).

This simple change would dramatically improve MC's WAF for me with syncing to her iPhone.  Right now, she has to sync MC to the folder, wait for it to finish, and then remember to manually run the iTunes updater script I put together.  If MC could auto-run this script (and if I ever bother to figure out a way to improve the script to honor [Media Sub Type]), it would save me a LOT of time and grief from my wife.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sunfire7

Re: Execute Command After "Generic" Handheld Sync
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 12:08:22 am »

It would be useful for me aswell! (glynor, can you share your script to update itunes?)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Execute Command After "Generic" Handheld Sync
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:48:43 pm »

Right now it isn't that fancy.  I'm basically just calling iTLU and making it do the work for me.

However, that isn't my long-term plan.  Right now, I'm trying to decide whether to write an update to iTLU that can read the [Media Sub Type] tag and set the appropriate Media Type in iTunes (which would be a simple way to solve the problem), or perhaps just actually write a plugin for MC that handles it all internally.  The MC plugin route would be better, obviously, but I'm a fairly novice level programmer and I don't know how that'd turn out (it would be a great learning opportunity).

iTLU is open source though and works pretty well for what it is, so I'm considering just writing an update to it and GPLing the whole thing.  For that to be a viable option, I'd need the ability to execute the script after the sync completes though.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up