INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Licensing Question  (Read 1193 times)

Kurt Young

Licensing Question
« on: June 21, 2002, 10:14:16 am »

I purchased a license for MJ8 (8.0.291) for about $25.  Great investment, as far as I'm concerned.  My question:  Am I entitled to free or discounted future updates?  Will future updates be mandatory or optional?

ChicoSelfs

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Licensing Question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 10:18:44 am »

i think yes i have a MJ7.2 license and works in MJ8 all updates are optional and free but is better to update because of the fixes, the last version is 8.0.302. one advice backup your license. go at http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/buy_faq.html
Made in Portugal

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 10:22:56 am »

current version is 8.0.302

>> Am I entitled to free or discounted future updates?
That Has Not Been Determined, and will not for sometime (When MJ 9 Is In Beta).

>> Will future updates be mandatory or optional?
Nothing Is Mandatory, You Will Not Be Sent To Jail Or Killed If You Do Not Upgrade.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2002, 10:24:36 am »

Mj 9 in Beta? where i can find that?

it Is Not Aval Yet, JimH Will Have A Bar BQ First (Lots Of Beer For Matt, And Wine) And Then They Will Go Into Deep Programing Form MJ9 They Are Brain Storming Now.

If You Have Any Input What You Would Like To See Go Enter It In The Wish List (Above Under Interact)
Made in Portugal

Kurt Young

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2002, 11:08:46 am »

>>>> Will future updates be mandatory or optional?
>>Nothing Is Mandatory, You Will Not Be Sent To Jail Or Killed If You Do Not Upgrade.

My question was based mostly in bad experiences from other programs i've tried/used.  Much like this:

*window pops up when program is started*
 "Hi!  There's a new version available with TONS of SUPER COOL NEW FEATURES!!!  Do you want to download it now?"
*I click "No"*

*window pops up when program is closed*
 "Hi!  There's a new version available with TONS of SUPER COOL NEW FEATURES!!!  Do you want to download it now?"
*I click "No"*

repeat, ad infinitum.  Then, one day:

*window pops up when program is started*
 "Hi!  You're using a totally out-dated version of the program!  Upgrade to version XX.XXXX.XX.X.X now!  Only $24.95!!"
*I click "No," causing a second window to pop up*
 "You're a complete chump!"
*program closes automatically*

You know what I mean... programs that become naggy and petulant when you don't want the newest, bloated-up, ad-filled version of their software.  I use MJ8 becuase it -doesn't- feed me adverts or useless, bloated features, and it works just fine now as it is.  I, as a consumer, like being able to choose when I upgrade my software, and not have the software make that choice for me.  =)

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2002, 01:34:11 pm »

Say, that's a good idea.  Never thought about that.  Hmmm...
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

belvizoo

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2002, 09:53:36 pm »

Upgrades free.......BUNK!!!!  I purchased Version 6 liscense and within 2-3 weeks, version 7 was released.  I questioned if I could download the new version and install my liscense that was still "hot" off the press.  YES, UPGRADES ARE FREE!!!! was the answer.  OK, now I've used the product for a long time and I am deep into converting my old vinyls and cassettes to MP3 and stored on CD-Rs.  Now Version 8 comes along with bigger, better, faster, etc. and guess what??  Oh, by the way, that FREE UPGRADES we told you about,  that was a Big fat lie.....  Yes, I agree with the "you don't get a free car every year syndrome", but when you are told you will get upgrades, you should GET upgrades.  This is another example of the big company getting their barbed hooks into the consumer and dragging them around.  Obviously, I am not very pleased with the J. Rivers, Inc. organization at this time.

Imaginer

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2002, 11:19:05 pm »

"programs that become naggy and petulant when you don't want the newest, bloated-up, ad-filled version of their software."

I hear you there.  I'm still using a version of get right that's years old before they started forcing ads on you that actually SLOW your downloads!

Scronch

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2002, 11:26:30 pm »

I think belvizoo could've earned the 25 bucks in the time it took to type his tirade.

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2002, 02:58:25 am »

Well, you got your upgrade to 7, and you seem to be happy with it. What's the beef? Are you claiming you were promised free upgrades forever? How can anyone run a business doing that?

BTW, this is JRiver, not James River. Hardly a 'big company', if you'd take the time to check it out. Sounds like you have something more on your mind.

HTH

Listening to: 'Can't Complain' from 'The Fuschia' by 'Peggy Stern & The Thomas Chapin Quartet' on Media Jukebox

JimH

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2002, 05:17:19 am »

Belvizo,
We have never promised unlimited free upgrades.  In fact, I don't think we've ever said anything about what would come next until the next release was at least in beta.  In many cases, we have given a free upgrade to the next release, but we've never said that would continue.

I don't understand why people beat us up over $25.  We're just trying to earn a living and do something interesting.  We're not the Evil Empire.

Jim
JRiver
Jim Hillegass

hvy duty

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2002, 06:52:05 am »

I think I will send a letter to Mr. Gates I have XP now but started with DOS 6.0 he has not even given me the next version up. They have all been a lot more than twenty-five dollars. I think J River does great giving you the next version free most people don't expect that I have 7.2 and 8.0 works.  I will be more than happy to buy 9.0 and thanks to J River for giving me 8.

JimH

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2002, 09:27:47 am »

hvy duty,
You're welcome.  And thanks.

Jim
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up