INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duration missing for newly imported video files - Fixed!  (Read 1859 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Duration missing for newly imported video files - Fixed!
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:02:29 pm »

Hi!

Recently, when I import video files, the duration doesn't show up. I had this problem once before, but solved it with "Update library from tags", but this time, that doesn't work. The Compression field is also empty for new imports. Is something changed in the way MC analyzes files when importing recently? It worked well a little while ago...exactly when I can't tell, since I update MC pretty often. I know it was like this in build 73, upgraded to 80 today and no change.

The files I'm importing are mostly mkv files, and the same thing happens to all new files. All my previously imported mkv files have both duration and compression filled in.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

audunth

Re: Duration missing for newly imported video files
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:05:20 am »

Bump...

Anyone else have this problem? I can't get the duration for any imported video file anymore. My older files still show the duration, but everything imported after a certain point show no duration information. Have tried both Update tags from library and Update library from tags, no luck.

Has something changed in the way MC analyzes video files during import in recent builds?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:10:50 pm »

FWIW, I see the opposite. There's a duration for all my files, including MKV's. I don't normally use it, but when I checked Compression, I found it empty for older files. All were filled when I did an Update library from tags.

Have you tried checking a log for clues?

audunth

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 04:36:34 pm »

Strange. Tried again, importing a file. Duration is empty. Compression is empty. Update library from tags doesn't help. Don't get any error message either. I have duration for all my video files I ever imported until a little while ago. Compression didn't get filled out on earlier versions (don't know exactly which build started collecting codec info and putting it in the compression field), but Update library from tags did work for files imported before that point in time and filled out duration and compression, if missing. But not anymore. What's wrong?

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. Turned on logging, checked the log file, but found nothing there. Every entry seemed to describe the processes needed to start up MC.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 05:37:26 pm »

Missing duration and compression info is an indication that MC failed to build a DirectShow graph for the file.  Do the files play properly in JRiver video engine (using DirectShow filters)? Does this happen to a lot of files or just a few individuals?  Do you get a better result if you just select one file and do an Update Library (from tags)?  If you try importing a bunch of them at the same time, one failure can prevent MC from trying on other files.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

audunth

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 02:46:22 pm »

They all play fine, using JR Directshow Engine with Haali media splitter, FFDshow video and audio and Enhanced video renderer. Same setup as before when it was working. It's every file I've imported lately, regardless of format. Don't know exactly from which build. Importing only one file or selecting one file and choosing Update library from tags doesn't work, and the duration doesn't appear after playing the whole file either.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

audunth

Re: Duration missing for newly imported video files - Fixed!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 05:46:46 am »

Fixed it by deselecting the option "Don't use FFDShow in ..." in FFDShow Video Decoder. Don't know why I had to do that, since it worked before with that option selected. But whatever - it works now so all's good :) Cheers
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Pages: [1]   Go Up