INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room Correction DSP suggestions  (Read 1352 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Room Correction DSP suggestions
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:42:07 am »

I have a 7.1 system and use Room Correction for Bass Management, distance, and level settings. When listening to a stereo source, I've noticed lately that the sound was more pronounced in the left channel. I finally tracked it down and found that somehow my left speaker was set .5 ft further than the right speaker. This was delaying the right speaker causing sound to arrive from the left speaker first. Based on my testing, I found something else out and I have a few suggestions.

• I was surprised that .5 ft made such a big difference in sound stage. I wonder if their needs to be even greater granularity in the distance setting. At what distance difference does it become inaudible?
  • My surrounds are less efficient than my mains/ctr so I have their level increased by 4 dB. To prevent clipping this means the other channels are actually attenuated. When listening to a stereo source with no JRSS, the mains are still attenuated even though they don't need to be. I think it would be better for 2.0 or 2.1 to reset levels based on just the mains and subwoofer levels. This can prevent unnecessary attenuation of the mains.
  • When trying to solve my left channel problem, I switched Room Correction on and off and determined that Room Correction was causing the issue. I eventually discovered the incorrect distance setting. While switching Room Correction on/off I noticed how much better it sounded with it off. After fixing the distance issue, it still sounded different even after increasing the volume to compensate for the attenuation. I turned off bass management, but the difference was still there. I then played with the surround levels and distance a little and they seemed to affect the soundstage of just the mains when listening in 2.1. I found this from an earlier build (15.0.1):  Changed: DSP Studio > Room Correction only applies distance based attenuation across matched speaker sets (phasing correction is still applied across all speakers in play). I am wondering if there is still some processing going on that is affecting the soundstage when listening in 2.0 or 2.1.  ?
  • It was rather tedious to keep selecting the drop down box in Room Correction in order to select each speaker. It would be much easier if there were tabs across the top of Room Correction and we could click once to select the speaker.

Summary:  Although processing is necessary for 5.1 or 7.1, it should be eliminated as much as possible when listening in 2.0 or 2.1.
[/list]

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Room Correction DSP suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:56:54 pm »

• I was surprised that .5 ft made such a big difference in sound stage. I wonder if their needs to be even greater granularity in the distance setting. At what distance difference does it become inaudible?

The distance, across matched speaker sets, is also used for volume adjustment.  If you have a radically wrong value, it will distort volume and timing.

• My surrounds are less efficient than my mains/ctr so I have their level increased by 4 dB. To prevent clipping this means the other channels are actually attenuated. When listening to a stereo source with no JRSS, the mains are still attenuated even though they don't need to be. I think it would be better for 2.0 or 2.1 to reset levels based on just the mains and subwoofer levels. This can prevent unnecessary attenuation of the mains.

It does not look at channels that are not in play, but I guess this is a special case because the center is in play but silent because you're using 2.1 mixing.

I just changed this for a coming build.

• When trying to solve my left channel problem, I switched Room Correction on and off and determined that Room Correction was causing the issue. I eventually discovered the incorrect distance setting. While switching Room Correction on/off I noticed how much better it sounded with it off. After fixing the distance issue, it still sounded different even after increasing the volume to compensate for the attenuation. I turned off bass management, but the difference was still there. I then played with the surround levels and distance a little and they seemed to affect the soundstage of just the mains when listening in 2.1. I found this from an earlier build (15.0.1):  Changed: DSP Studio > Room Correction only applies distance based attenuation across matched speaker sets (phasing correction is still applied across all speakers in play). I am wondering if there is still some processing going on that is affecting the soundstage when listening in 2.0 or 2.1.  ?

I am guessing this is the same issue as directly above, and will be changed.

• It was rather tedious to keep selecting the drop down box in Room Correction in order to select each speaker. It would be much easier if there were tabs across the top of Room Correction and we could click once to select the speaker.

I agree, but there's too much text to fit in tabs (especially when translated).  A list down the left that you click to change would work, but the dialog is already scary big.

You can mouse wheel over the combobox if it's any consolation.
    Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
    Pages: [1]   Go Up