INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to stop Media Center from trying to rip inserted CDs?  (Read 10292 times)

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
How to stop Media Center from trying to rip inserted CDs?
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:02:31 pm »

I've looked high and low but can seem to find a setting to tell it to ignore CDs when inserted.

Thanks,
Jeff

AussieBill

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Aussies do it upside down
Re: How to stop Media Center from trying to rip inserted CDs?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:50:53 pm »

Hey Jeff,  just go to Tools >> Options >> CD & DVD

There is an item called AutoPlay

There is a drop down list and you can choose to let Windows decide or you can auto play, rip, ask or do nothing.

flac.rules

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:27:04 am »

The problem is that that option doesn't do anything (at least not for me), even if i set it tho "nothing" MC has a dialog box that pops up everytime you insert a CD.

AussieBill

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Aussies do it upside down
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 12:38:12 am »

OK, try this, it may be Windows doing it.

This is for Windows 7, I'm sure it is similar for XP and Vista.

Go to Control Panel.

Go to Auto Play settings

It says something like "Choose what happens when you insert each type of media or device"

Go to Audio CD and select "Take No Action", or whatever else you want instead.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 07:14:12 pm »

No matter what you change the MC setting to or the autoplay in Windows, it still pops up and is real annoying.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 01:14:26 am »

There is also the auto-rip mode setting. Here is a quote from http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/CD_Settings:

Enable auto-rip mode: In this mode, Media Center immediately starts ripping a CD when it is inserted into any CD drive. This is handy if you are ripping a stack of CDs. Every time you see a tray pop out following a rip, you just place the next CD to be ripped in the tray and re-insert it. Checked by default.

I don't know if it is supposed to do anything when the first CD is inserted, but at least I have seen the "fill CD information" window sometimes on my Windows 7 PC when the setting is enabled and a CD is inserted. I have not seen the same happening on XP, but on XP I have disabled all autoplay features with Tweak UI.

Tools > Options > CD & DVD > Auto Rip CD Database Lookup Options > Enable auto-rip mode
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:31:53 pm »

Well I have that setting disabled.  I have tried AutoPlay Audio CD: Nothing and Audio CD: Let Windows Handle.  I have auto play disabled completely in Windows 7.  Above that I also have Audio CD and Enhanced Audio CD set to "Take no Action" in Windows 7.

Nothing helps MC continually pops up the cd information dialog whenever a CD is inserted.

I really think it's a bug!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 08:46:26 pm »

Well I have that setting disabled.  I have tried AutoPlay Audio CD: Nothing and Audio CD: Let Windows Handle.  I have auto play disabled completely in Windows 7.  Above that I also have Audio CD and Enhanced Audio CD set to "Take no Action" in Windows 7.

Nothing helps MC continually pops up the cd information dialog whenever a CD is inserted.

I really think it's a bug!

Could you share a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Media Center will always get track metadata for an audio CD if it's running.  If it can't find data, it may show a popup asking about the disc.

I'm wondering if that's what you're seeing.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 10:07:24 pm »

Yes, that's what it is.  It seems the only way to make it go away is let software lookup the CD information on the internet.

I prefer having that option off and having MC do nothing at all when a CD is inserted.

Is that possible?

flac.rules

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:02:26 pm »

Yeah, i would like that too, on one of my computers i frequently rips CDs (with another program), getting that popup all the time is annoying.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 03:03:33 pm »

Please, can this be fixed?

When I chose "Do Nothing", I want the software to do just that.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 03:21:48 pm »

Options > General > Allow automatic CD lookup / submission

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 03:47:29 pm »

Options > General > Allow automatic CD lookup / submission

No, I don't want it to even try to read the CD.  It just starts bumping heads with my other ripping software, when it's trying to read the disk.

Setting the AutoPlay-> Audio CD -> Nothing

Should do just that, nothing, IMO.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 04:00:12 pm »

You could rip with Media Center.  It has a very good secure ripper.

Or you could close Media Center when you rip with a different program.

Or you could disable the option I described.  I can't think why Media Center would be "bumping heads" with another program.  Windows itself reads the TOC of a disk when it is inserted, and this doesn't bump heads with our ripper.

trhunnicutt

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:52 pm »

I've run into the same issues.

Matt, here's the challenge.

Even with the "Options > General > Allow automatic CD lookup / submission" deselected, MC will do the following:

- spin up the cd
- show a "Working" dialog
- and then present the "CD Information"  Unknown album entry dialog.

That process happens when the Devices & Drives is selected, or if it's last selected, you quit MC, and then restart the app.

I do not want to have any of those process steps happen, unless I have the "Automatic CD Lookup" set to YES.  Or, unless I manually select "Update from Online Database".

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 09:14:25 pm »

I've run into the same issues.

Matt, here's the challenge.

Even with the "Options > General > Allow automatic CD lookup / submission" deselected, MC will do the following:

- spin up the cd
- show a "Working" dialog
- and then present the "CD Information"  Unknown album entry dialog.

That process happens when the Devices & Drives is selected, or if it's last selected, you quit MC, and then restart the app.

I do not want to have any of those process steps happen, unless I have the "Automatic CD Lookup" set to YES.  Or, unless I manually select "Update from Online Database".

The lookup sounds like a bug to me.  Let me test and follow-up next week.

If you look at a disc with Media Center, it will spin it up unless the OS has the volume information cached.  I think this is unavoidable.

Amadan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mine. Mine. Mine.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 02:44:13 am »

Hi,

sounds like the same problem i had mentioned here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54442.0

I still have the same behaviour and agree that this must be a bug

bye,
Stefan

vagskal

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 04:05:16 am »

I too get the same behaviour on Win 7. For unknown CDs a CD Information screen pops up and it does not go away until you click cancel, even if the CD has been ejected.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 08:48:48 am »

ditto

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 09:02:39 am »

Ditto too. Sometimes I just want to play a CD really quickly. If it's a CD by a singer friend of mine, it's not going to find the data on the internet (yet). It takes forever to regain control of MC so I can just play the CD as I wanted to in the first place. WAF: very low. I wish the lookup could be a background process if it is enabled.

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 10:18:55 am »

This problem isn't related to filling in the CD information from yadb or anywhere else.  It crops up when we try to read the disc serial number using a Windows api call and it returns an error.  I was able to repro the problem here by inserting a disc while both EAC and Media Center were running.  I'm looking into it.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 10:43:01 am »

This problem isn't related to filling in the CD information from yadb or anywhere else.  It crops up when we try to read the disc serial number using a Windows api call and it returns an error.  I was able to repro the problem here by inserting a disc while both EAC and Media Center were running.  I'm looking into it.

Ah, excellent!  I reported this a couple of years ago.  Since I no longer use EAC, I stopped caring. :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 10:49:36 am »

FWIW it happens to me when using dBpoweramp.

JohnT

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 04:09:01 pm »

Do you see the same problem in dbpoweramp if you first insert the cd while EAC is running, let EAC recognize the cd, then start up dbpoweramp? 
I see the same problem with WMP and other programs if EAC opens the cd first.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 04:36:10 pm »

I don't use EAC...  just dbpoweramp for ripping and MC for playing.  If MC is open when I insert an unknown disc it will pop up the CD information box even though I've asked it not to.

Cheers,

Mark

JohnT

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 09:00:53 am »

Ok, I was misunderstanding the issue.  I followed Stefan's link to http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54442.0 and started working on the problem in that thread which is different than the "CD Information" dialog popup discussed here. 

I've made a change that will stop the "CD Information" dialog from popping up if you have de-selected the option: Options > General > Allow automatic CD lookup / submission.  Hopefully this solves that problem.

Regarding Stefan's problem with getting the "can't get the correct volume information" error, it appears to be an EAC issue with EAC grabbing exclusive access to the CD drive.   If EAC is running when a CD is inserted, we can't read the volume information and WMP doesn't see the drive at all.  At least that's the behavior on my system.

Amadan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mine. Mine. Mine.
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 12:44:55 pm »

(...) Regarding Stefan's problem with getting the "can't get the correct volume information" error, it appears to be an EAC issue with EAC grabbing exclusive access to the CD drive.   If EAC is running when a CD is inserted, we can't read the volume information and WMP doesn't see the drive at all.  At least that's the behavior on my system.

I see. So the problem is actually caused by EAC. Anyway: good to know. Many thanks for investigating!

Stefan

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2010, 10:54:24 pm »

Ok, I was misunderstanding the issue.  I followed Stefan's link to http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=54442.0 and started working on the problem in that thread which is different than the "CD Information" dialog popup discussed here. 

I've made a change that will stop the "CD Information" dialog from popping up if you have de-selected the option: Options > General > Allow automatic CD lookup / submission.  Hopefully this solves that problem.

Regarding Stefan's problem with getting the "can't get the correct volume information" error, it appears to be an EAC issue with EAC grabbing exclusive access to the CD drive.   If EAC is running when a CD is inserted, we can't read the volume information and WMP doesn't see the drive at all.  At least that's the behavior on my system.

Your change helps.  I ripped CDs all day and listened to music without getting any annoying popups that I needed to respond to in Media Center.  It still pops up say it's busy for a second or two when you pop in a CD.  I was hoping it would do nothing at all if I have auto run set to do nothing in Media Center.  Maybe that isn't easily achievable?

chriswallingford

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 03:19:37 pm »

MC 22.0.81
I'm experiencing this same issue. I don't use JRiver for CD ripping or library management. I was too far down another road for audio library management by the time I discovered and started using MC.

When I insert the CD, MC does the track lookup and prevents my other application from recognizing that there's a CD in the drive because the device is in use by MC. I have to then eject and reinsert, and luckily MC doesn't repeat the lookup... until the next CD is inserted.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 07:32:21 pm »

MC 22.0.81
I'm experiencing this same issue.

Did you try deselecting this option, as described above?

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

chriswallingford

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 05:27:58 am »

Yes. Also, all Auto Play options in MC are set to do nothing, and all Windows options set to take no action. Thanks.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 05:30:28 am »

This is an ongoing thing with MC...  There is no working solution at the moment beyond not having MC open when you insert a disc...

chriswallingford

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 05:58:29 am »

Okay, but JFYI, I have MC closed, not open. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up