INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Post - question on Windows Home Server and TiVoHD  (Read 1049 times)

nwtim

First Post - question on Windows Home Server and TiVoHD
« on: August 12, 2010, 02:30:49 pm »

I didn't know anything about Media Center before today.  I just came across it when stumbling upon Monkey's Audio in trying to decompress a .cue/.ape file set that was given to me as if I'd know what to do with it.

I haven't even downloaded the trial version of MC yet, so I hope I won't offend anyone with my newbie question(s).

I have all our family's photos and music on a Windows Home Server with a few 2TB drives in it.  Not only does it do automatic backups of all the boot drives of our PC's, but it's great that all our media files can be accessed from anywhere on our home network and that I can remote access into it when away from home.  Someday I'd like to also use the WHS to hold much of my over 3TB of HiDef video (mostly recorded TV with our TiVoHD's, but also camcorder stuff) and stream to the TV through the TiVoHD's, but I haven't found a good way to work that yet.  I installed TiVo Publisher for WHS, but it doesn't do HiDef video, photos look no better than 480p (probably converted to 640x480 by TiVo Publisher), and the audio sounds like it's highly compressed (good quality source files sound terrible).  I plan to try Streambaby (uses Python), but the install is a little involved and I haven't gotten to it yet.

Will Media Center address this kind of situation?  Do I need to dedicate a PC to be used as the user interface?  Or can it be installed on a WHS and used as a conduit for the TiVoHD's to pull media from the WHS - passing on the highest possible quality or music, photos, and video?
Pages: [1]   Go Up