INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resolution upscaling when playind ripped DVD from PC  (Read 1413 times)

triskadekaphobic

• Junior Woodchuck
Resolution upscaling when playind ripped DVD from PC
« on: August 15, 2010, 01:23:13 am »

A few years ago when I had my good old  Sony 32" flatron Tube TV and I used to play DVD (non HD content) the result was spectacular.
My new high end Philips 8404  LCD plays 1920 videos superbly but when I feed it with non HD content coming from my PC the up scaling is horrible.
When I watch a concert and the bows of the violins move diagonally they appear to be not straight but have minor stairs.

My question is:
Is the up scaling to 1920 (native resolution of my TV) done by the player, by the video card or in the TV itself ?
If it is done on the PC side (MC 15 or video card) what can I do to resolve this annoying problem ?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Resolution upscaling when playind ripped DVD from PC
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:00:02 am »

Welcome to the endless joy that is Video tweaking.  Scaling and Deinterlacing can be done at many different steps including:
- Video Decoder
- Video Renderer
- Video Card
- Receiver
- TV

Each can employ a different method to do the Upscaling and Deinterlacing.  If you are seeing "stairs" it is the deinterlacing that is causing the issue (not scaling) and you will be using Bob or Weave to make each full frame from the interlaced source.  Pending where in the chain you are doing your post processing you may want to consider a couple of common settings such as either:
- FFDSHOW Video Decoder: Use YADIF with Double Fame Rate
- Video Card (if using hardware acceleration then use Vector Adaptive if supported over Bob or Weave)

To get a better idea, can you post what setup you have including HW and the Filters you are using.
Thanks
Nathan

I'm sure there will be other suggestions!
JRiver CEO Elect

triskadekaphobic

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:02:35 pm »

Under File types, Video, DVD Video (ifo,vob),
Playback method : JRiver video engine
configure (1) : Audio settings. my DVD audio is perfect. don't want to touch it
configure (2) : grayed out. why ?
configure (2) :  renderer. what should I choose ?

"- FFDSHOW Video Decoder: Use YADIF with Double Fame Rate
- Video Card (if using hardware acceleration then use Vector Adaptive if supported over Bob or Weave)"

What ? where ? when ?  :-). I wasn't able to find any of the settings you mentioned.

triskadekaphobic

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 01:02:05 pm »

I think I know where the problem is and it doesn't seem to be an up-scaling issue...
I did the following comparison:
I took 2 original copies I bought of the same DVD. One PAL and one NTSC.
Only NTSC has the problem I mention. My TV is PAL and it seems to prefer PAL content.
As far as I know the problem cannot be resolved.
If one of the experts here can find a solution I'll really appreciate it
Pages: [1]   Go Up