INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Stutter  (Read 1044 times)

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
Problem with Stutter
« on: September 02, 2010, 06:13:53 pm »

I am using JRMC15 on my Asus laptop (Windows 7 x64) with M2Tech Hiface. I also use Naim DAC/Naim XPS Power Supply. I store digital audio files on a 1.5TB Samsung USB drive connected directly to the laptop. Each album is stored in a separate directory containing the FLAC files and cover art. I do not use a cue file.

I had a few problems getting everything to work in WASAPI mode but after checking all my settings, following the Computer Audiophile setup guide and lowering the buffering to 2 everything works fine, apart from one minor irritation.

When selecting a new album and then the play button, I get bad stuttering. I can solve this by stopping and then restarting playback.

Can anyone suggest what is happening and how I might cure this irritation.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problem with Stutter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 06:25:44 pm »

lowering the buffering to 2 everything works fine, apart from one minor irritation.

Please try the defaults and see if you still have a problem:

Options > Audio > Pre-buffering: 6 seconds
Options > Audio > WASAPI > Output mode settings > Buffering: 0.50 seconds
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:40:19 pm »

I have the buffering set at 0.50 seconds. I had to lower the pre-buffering to 2 seconds otherwise JRMC15 would not work with M2Tech Hiface. I posted about it on this forum. Leaving the pre-buffering at 6 seconds lead to error messages saying that my hardware was not capable of playing any files above 16-Bit/44.1kHz. I can't remember the exact message but several have experienced problems with MC and Hiface when running WASAPI. Everything works fine using ASIO or KS. You may recall that I had to go back to the beta driver rather than the released driver on Purite Audio's website to make it work. M2Tech have recognised that there is a problem and Marco is developing a new driver.

Perhaps this stutter is a trade-off. It's not a problem per-se ... Just an irritation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:13:42 pm »

I had to lower the pre-buffering to 2 seconds otherwise JRMC15 would not work with M2Tech Hiface.

I can't think of a technical reason for the amount of prebuffering to alter the behavior of the output plugin.  I suppose it changes the time between open and buffer fill slightly, but this should not matter.

But if you use small prebuffering values, you may get data shortfalls (which can sound like stutters) when switching tracks.

Maybe you could test a little more with 6 seconds (or more) of prebuffering?  I think that would fix the stutter between tracks.

We'll also test our Hiface and see if we can reproduce the problem.  In general, we've had good luck with it since getting the latest driver.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:35:25 pm »

OK I'll have another play with it Matt. Has Marco developed a new driver fairly recently? When I spoke with Keith at Purite Audio Marco was aware of the need to revise the driver. This was maybe six weeks ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up