INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tagging, Properties copied to a new import  (Read 4905 times)

Z0001

• Citizen of the Universe
Tagging, Properties copied to a new import
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:15:24 am »

Hi

I have all my audio as .wav ripped from a variety of sources. It seems some has metadata in the file itself and some does not. This is my first confusion as I didn't think .wav supported metadata.

Then I converted my entire collection to .mp3 with dBpoweramp, for use on an iPad. When I imported this to MC some albums had MC properties populated and album art (those original files with metadata) and some did not (those without metadata).  I found that if I manually added Properties (artist, album etc) then I could use the Library Tool Update Tags from Library, and hey presto, I have metadata. I should note that I tried AAC (.m4a) but this would take the Update Tags from Library, and so gave me no metadata. Hence .mp3.

Given my .wav library is fully Tagged and looking pretty, is there a way to "copy" this Tagging over to my .mp3 library? This would save me hours of reTagging effort.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Lasse_Lus

Re: Tagging, Properties copied to a new import
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:35:20 am »

Quote from: Z0001
is there a way to "copy" this Tagging over to my .mp3 library? This would save me hours of reTagging effort.

yes there is, thanks to cMagic discoverd one of MC's hidden features...

* Stack two tracks with the top one containing the metadata you want to copy and the bottom one with blank values (probably because it has just been ripped)
    * Set the stack in stack mode. You should only see the top one with all properties. Then select it and do  'RMC - Library Tools - Clean File Properties' (CFP)
    * In the CFP dialog, uncheck all cleaning operations then select the fields you want to cascade down the stack
    * Hit Ok, unstack your stack: bingo ! you have copied all your tag values to another file in one simple operation !

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?&topic=46087.0

there are alternatives if you do a search, but this solution ROCKS  ;D

unfortunately, it "broke" in version 16.126  :'(
MT5FR

Z0001

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 04:02:36 pm »

Thanks for that, looks interestingsomething to experiment with. Is it a track by track process, how would it work for an entire library of say 10,000 tracks? What is the Stacking order? Is it fileA.wav on top of fileA.mp3, fileB.wav on top of fileB.mp3 ie ordered by track or fileA.wav on top of fileB.wav, fileA.mp3 on top of fileB.mp3 ie ordered by file type? Or some other order such as by album?

Thanks

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 04:24:22 pm »

Quote from: Z0001
Is it a track by track process, how would it work for an entire library of say 10,000 tracks?

if they are "proper" you can batch them all  :P (haven't tried that many myself though)

What is the Stacking order? Is it fileA.wav on top of fileA.mp3, fileB.wav on top of fileB.mp3 ie ordered by track or fileA.wav on top of fileB.wav, fileA.mp3 on top of fileB.mp3 ie ordered by file type? Or some other order such as by album?

you will get that question, when you "autostack", so your answer would be "wav on top"

the key is that you have some sort of link between your files so you can match them, the best is same Artist, Album & Name, but you can match on name as well but then you have to be sure that there are not more than one "pair"..

so the testprocedure will be, mark/select 2-3 album both your mp3 and wav "send" them to stacks->Advanced->Autostack

you will get the question, follow cmagic and then check your tags integrity..

i think you should UNtick write to tags and update physical tags later instead..

make BACKUPS first..

also maybe a good idea is to make a test library and make your labtest there first so you don't mess up anything if it go wrong..

GL
MT5FR

Z0001

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 05:35:30 am »

Thanks. I managed to get it to work with a stack of just 2 tracks, but no joy trying to stack a .wav album on a .mp3 album. And I dont see any dialogue ".wav on top" to order the stack.

What I am envisaging as useful is a pair of windows with the tagged album(s) on the left and the target albums(s) on the right, with tracks lines up row for row, press a button and tags are copied left to right on a row for row basis. Is there anything in later versions of MC that enables this kind of Tag copying in bulk?

Appreciate your help getting me this far!

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 06:10:01 am »

MT5FR

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 08:06:52 pm »

When I select Clean File Properties and deselect all options after checking all the fields I want to 'copy' to the file under the stack, I press OK and I'm told I have to select a CFP option. Your instructions say to deselect all CFP. Am I missing something?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?
Pages: [1]   Go Up