INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Select items in Theater view  (Read 1699 times)

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
Select items in Theater view
« on: August 24, 2010, 10:29:28 am »

I find myself constantly wanting to select or mark items for future reference in theater view that I want to change in some way. (Better cover art, change Artist spelling, change Album Artist to Various or even delete.) Is there any way (In Theater view using the remote if possible.) that I can mark multiple items and then later go back to normal view and view and update these items?

I have looked at the Select command in theater view but other than selecting several songs to move to Playing Now I cannot see the proper use of this. I tried searching the Wiki and this forum for its proper use but did not find anything.

Thanks

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Select items in Theater view
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:10:55 am »

im not to sure about select. i think its confusing and disappears so easily. i can think of two ways.. one is to make a library field and call it for instance 'select for later' in the options for thv you can add that to the first items in the tag window for thv. when you want to selct it for something then tag it with just one letter (maybe different letters can have different uses) and make smartlists in standard view to select them when you are up to it. (you could even add the new field to the file views in thv)

the other option is to make a new zone, call it for instance "media to work on" now when you want to select someting for later just send it to that zone (switch zone and add). make sure it will not start playback, or that you hit play which would wipe the rest of the files in playing now. the good thing is that you can go to that playing now in thv, maybe remove something and save it as a playlist..

maybe someoneelse knows something better..

:)
gab

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 12:14:29 pm »

Gab thanks very much for the reply. I will try these out when I get home tonight. It would be nice if the Select command would be pervasive (maybe as an option) and allow us to just click twice and select items.

Thanks again.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 05:22:56 pm »

Before tview's roller implementation, select used to be quite usable. Now, selecting items requires going in and out of info screens each time. It's very tedious.

I must admit, I miss the old way of doing this.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:00:19 pm »

Gappie I just wanted to say thanks.  Making a new zone and moving items to its Playing Now is a good work around.

Thanks

rick.ca

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 03:46:52 pm »

My solution is essentially the same as gappie's first suggestion—tagging with single letters. I needed something more persistent and less confusing than using Select, sending to PN, creating a playlist, etc. I also didn't want to be messing with multiple tags or having to enter descriptive comments into one tag using the OSK. So this is what I did...

1. Created a custom field [.Flag] (the "." so appears at the top of lists); this is a string field where each character in the string is a separate "flag" (A=album, C=cover, L=lyrics, etc.).

2. Created an expression field [Flag] that expands the codes found in [.Flag] to something more meaningful (A->This album:, C->Cover?, L->Lyrics, etc.). The "A" flag is used as a time-saver. Tagging a track "Al" results in "This album: Lyrics?" which means "Check all the lyrics in this album." That saves me from having to mess with Select to place the same flag on all tracks.

3. Added If(IsEqual([.Flag],),,✘) to the beginning of the file caption. This makes it hard to miss there's something that needs to be fixed or improved, and...

4. Added ✘= [Flag] as the first item in the applicable File Info Panels—to tell me exactly what the ✘ means. Note this could be several things, for example: "This album: Cover? Lyrics?" (i.e., [.Flag]=Acl).

5. Added a Standard Panes view for dealing with the flags. The primary pane is a search list type that has a separate search entry for each flag (e.g., [.Flag] contains "A"). Where applicable, the search expands the list to full albums.

Yes, this sounds tedious, but it has succeeded in it's main purpose. Now, when I notice something amiss in Theatre View, I can flag the item in a meaningful way in a few seconds—and go on with enjoying my media. I was motivated to do this after several instances of actually getting off the couch thinking, "I have to fix these lyrics/covers/whatever before I forget." This was easier than getting treatment for my OCD. ;D

gappie

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:10:54 pm »

good that it works for you nedam...  8)

that is a nice one rick.. what i thought of when i thought if a solution but with nice details and how to use it. really nice...  8)

i dont use either.. when im on the couch i just dont seem to care.. but i might set up something like that now. gives some use to the tag thing in thv also.

thanks
 :)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up