INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Renderer list  (Read 3304 times)

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
DLNA Renderer list
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:49:55 pm »

I want to use several DLNA devices for audio playback in several rooms.  I want to control them from MC running on my dedicated MusicPC or from a laptop running MC (or just a remote desktop program to control the MusicPC.)  I want to use the excellent (standard mode) MC user interface with full access to library fields to browse and select music.

I've read some of the threads about DLNA devices and tried to collect a list of suitable DLNA renderer devices.  Those threads have not been precise enough for my purposes.  I'd like to start a list of DLNA renderer devices that are

- known to work with MC which is acting as a DLNA server.
- can be controlled from MC
- allow playback of common audio formats (MP3, Flac, APE, OG, WMA, MP4a) either by decompression on the DLNA device or by transcoding on the server.
- support transmission of lossless or uncompressed PCM transmission to the device.

If you know of such a device, please add a post to this thread.  Describe its inputs and output connectors. Give enough information for the rest of us to locate it for purchase.  If you know the approximate price, give that.  If you have an assessment of the sound quality of the device, state that too.  If it plays video as well as audio, provide that information.  If it is also a DLNA controller or server, tell us that as well.

If I visualize this list as a table or spreadsheet, it might have at least these columns:

Device name
Who makes it / where to buy it
How much does it cost?
What audio file formats does it directly support?  If you don't know the full list, specify what formats you use with it.
What input and output connectors (interfaces) does it provide?  Wired Lan input?  balanced/unbalanced analog audio outputs (like a 1/8" stereo mini-jack or 2 RCA phono plugs)?  Digital audio output(coax or optical Toslink connector)?
Is it controllable from MC?
have you used this device? Has it worked reliably for you?  Any problems?
How easy was it to get installed and working with MC?
How is the sound quality? good enough for casual listening?  Good enough for serious listening? Relate it to something else if you can.
Does it also play video or support displaying images (on its screen or on a TV?)
Other comments

Please don't add devices to the list unless you know that they are audio playback devices and can be controlled from MC with its regular user interface.  If you can't supply all the information, that's OK.  If you haven't used a device but you know that a device is a DLNA renderer for audio and is controllable by MC, tell us about the device.  If you just know that a device is a DLNA device, that isn't helpful.

I'm aware of the "imaginary device" that JRiver is working on.  When it is finished and ready for purchase, I'll be interested and will probably buy one to try it out.  However, I'll also be interested in other devices that might have better sound quality, a wired LAN connector and perhaps other features.  I want to know what choices are available to me. I think other MC users might list a good list of alternatives.

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up