INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartlist help with Keywords  (Read 1675 times)

Saucepan

• Junior Woodchuck
Smartlist help with Keywords
« on: August 28, 2010, 09:18:34 pm »

I'm trying to create a smartlist that will randomize the Keyword tag. I'm having a problem with it because its not pulling ONE Keyword, it's pulling everything in there. I want it to just select one category. Is there a way to do that?

This is what I have right now, and it's not doing what I need it to.

[Media Type]=[Audio] ~limit=1,-1,[Keywords]

It's creating a list based on ALL of the values in the Keyword tag.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Smartlist help with Keywords
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:29:46 pm »

If I'm understanding your request (for each keyword, select one file):

[Media Type]=[Audio] -[Keywords]=[] ~limit=-1,1,[keywords]

How do you want to handle a file that has keywords X and Y?  If X is selected, does that mean another file should be selected that contains Y?  Or should Y now be considered included, thus the file list will contain 1 fewer than you might expect?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Saucepan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 02:21:15 am »

Whoah, you lost me already.

Let me try to clarify, cause I know I'm not explaining it right...

We have a library with two artists.

Artist #1 is Sebadoh with Keywords 'Indie Rock' and 'Lo-Fi'. Then you have artist #2 as Sonic Youth that is 'Indie Rock' and 'Experimental'.

I want to create a smartlist that will potentially decide to play Indie Rock, and then play BOTH of those artists. Right now, with that above expression, the list will only create Sebadoh or Sonic Youth, because their Keywords make them different. It doesn't know how to just grab one of the keywords. Not at the moment.

Saucepan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 06:01:56 pm »

gonna bump this.

anyone got an idea?

gappie

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 06:32:45 pm »

im actually sure you can not do that with a smartlist, but did not want to respond hoping someone had something creative on his sleeve. the problem lies in the keyword part. i can not think of a way to get one random value out of it from all the different keywords.

:)
gab

but who knows someone else has an idea.

Saucepan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 08:02:13 pm »

I can create a library view that will see Keywords separately. It seems strange you couldn't have an expression to just pick one out.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 08:16:29 pm »

I too was waiting for some divine inspiration, or others to find a solution. :-)

I couldn't figure out how to have MC not differentiate a single keyword from a list of keywords.  It seems that MC considers "foo" and "foo; bar" as two distinct things when selecting randomly from the keywords via modifier.  While it shows them separately in panes, it seems to treat them as a raw string when doing ~limit.  Thus, if I have 1 item with "foo" and "bar" keywords, and one item with just "foo", and one item with the "bar" keyword, if the keyword "foo" is the random selection via ~limit, two items will be returned.  But if "foo; bar" is the random selection, then only one item is returned.  Since "bar" is in two items, two items should always be returned; one being returned seems to confirm the theory.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up