INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client/Server Auto Import & Library Settings & Use - Best Practices  (Read 2359 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

In another thread there has been discussion of my duplicated audio files in the library. This has led to discussion of auto import settings. I thought this might get more attention and hopefully is deserving of another thread. I searched the WIKI but didn't find much helpful information.

In our case all media is stored on a WHS machine. We have one primary Client (HTPC) and a couple of secondary Clients, my desktop and my wifes desktop, that are occasionally used.

Cd's are usually ripped on the HTPC Client, but occasionally from my desktop Client. They are always ripped with a file destination on the server. The same goes for downloaded music.

Playlists, tagging, deletions and other changes could be done on any of the Clients.

My understanding of changes on Clients, including deletions, is that these can now be synced to the server library.

So here is what I think our settings should be:

1. 'Automatically sync changes made on client' - Checked on server and all clients.

2. Run Auto Import In Background - Checked on Server only.

3. Media Import folders - \\mellserver\music, \\mellserver\images,  \\mellserver\videos. 
        (\\mellserver\music, etc is instead of D:\shares\music, etc.)  This should only be listed on the server.

I think each Client should normally be run showing the Servers Library, not it's own. Is this correct?

It seems that this Client/Server usage should be a fairly common arrangement. Are my settings and usage shown above correct and recommended?

Thank you.
Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Client/Server Auto Import & Library Settings & Use - Best Practices
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 12:31:49 am »

Looks pretty good.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:41:04 am »

In another thread there has been discussion of my duplicated audio files in the library. This has led to discussion of auto import settings. I thought this might get more attention and hopefully is deserving of another thread. I searched the WIKI but didn't find much helpful information.

In our case all media is stored on a WHS machine. We have one primary Client (HTPC) and a couple of secondary Clients, my desktop and my wifes desktop, that are occasionally used.

Cd's are usually ripped on the HTPC Client, but occasionally from my desktop Client. They are always ripped with a file destination on the server. The same goes for downloaded music.

Playlists, tagging, deletions and other changes could be done on any of the Clients.

My understanding of changes on Clients, including deletions, is that these can now be synced to the server library.

So here is what I think our settings should be:

1. 'Automatically sync changes made on client' - Checked on server and all clients.

2. Run Auto Import In Background - Checked on Server only.

3. Media Import folders - \\mellserver\music, \\mellserver\images,  \\mellserver\videos. 
        (\\mellserver\music, etc is instead of D:\shares\music, etc.)  This should only be listed on the server.

I think each Client should normally be run showing the Servers Library, not it's own. Is this correct?

It seems that this Client/Server usage should be a fairly common arrangement. Are my settings and usage shown above correct and recommended?

Thank you.
Rod

This is exactly what I want to do - Rod - obviously you are running copy of Media Server on your WHS Server. This is the part that I have been hestitating with? Any issues with the "Media Server" portion of MC not starting when the WHS is restarted. I am willing to give this a shot but I need to know the MC "server" will be there all the time.

Also - what if a guy has multiple "libraries". On my WHS - I have my main (Lossless) library - stored in the WHS "Music" folder and another library for lossy files (for iPods n such) in a WHS folder called Mobile Music. I take it that when MC is loaded on the server - it can only serve a single library at a time?

Appreciate any tips n' tricks that you have as I attempt to move this stuff to the server.

Cheers!

VP

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:16:09 am »

Glynor - Thanks for the thumbs up.

Vocalpoint - I have not had any problems with MC not starting on the server. Have been running it on WHS for almost a year.
                   I don't feel qualified to offer suggestions on running multiple libraries. My only real problem is that almost all of my audio files are shown twice in the library. That is why I'm trying to be certain of the correct settings. Don't want to go through this mess again.

I too would appreciate any tips and tricks others may have to offer.

Good luck.

Rod

haylo75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:25:53 pm »

Re: "2. Run Auto Import In Background - Checked on Server only."

I personally leave this option unchecked.  The feature typically works as designed, fixing broken links and updating metadata.  However, sometimes files moved from one folder to another have been detected as "new".  In these cases, references to the "old" files are removed.  The main issue for me was the fact that play counts were reset to 0.
Kerr

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 03:09:44 pm »

However, sometimes files moved from one folder to another have been detected as "new".  In these cases, references to the "old" files are removed.

Move them from within MC to avoid these types of issues.  MC's Rename, Move, and Copy tool is much more powerful than anything available in Windows Explorer anyway.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up