INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Work Question / RAID  (Read 1020 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Work Question / RAID
« on: September 13, 2010, 10:51:36 am »

I've recently unwittingly become the administrator of 60+ Server machines with a built in RAID 1 system.   :'(
Even worse I don't actually have one to play with.

The servers are made by NEC and have the RAID built into the motherboard.
These have 2 x Seagate Barracuda 230GB drives.

In one particular server one of the drives failed, an engineer went in and removed the faulty drive, but did not replace it.
A few questions to those who have played with such things...

1. Do the drives have to be matched? 230GB drives are getting hard to come by.  If we stick a 300GB drive in there will it fail to rebuild?

2. What's usually involved in the rebuild?  Is it just a case of sticking another drive in and leaving it over night or do you have to run through some utility/bios type gizmo usually?

3. The system is currently running really slowly ever since the one drive was taken out.  Could this be related or does that highlight bigger problems yet to be unravelled?!

Thanks for any advice

Regards,
Chris.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Work Question / RAID
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:58:04 am »

1. I do not think that most raid controllers require you to get a similar size. But the smallest one WILL determine the size of course.
2. It MIGHT rebuild it self, but my recommendation would be to go in the Raid bios and kick it off your self.
3. Most raid setups preforms badly when there is a faulty or non existing disk, so replace it fast :)

I do not have huge amounts of expertise in this field, but I believe those answers should do nothing but help in this case.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up