INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerky Video with Audio 'Same as Audio Playback' [solved]  (Read 1401 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Jerky Video with Audio 'Same as Audio Playback' [solved]
« on: September 18, 2010, 12:09:42 pm »

In another thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59516.msg403063#new I discovered that I needed to set the audio for Videos to 'same as audio playback' to enable the use of MC DSP features. When I do this I get very jerky video. I had previously solved this problem by setting Audio to my actual device (soundcard) as discussed in this thread  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=57844.0  BTW I am now using an 8 channel soundcard, an Asus Essence ST in a 5.1 system.

I am in the process of having all bass management done by MC and using some other functions through VST plugins in MC DSP. This of course becomes impossible to use for the audio in videos.

In the first linked thread another person is having video problems with the 'same as audio playback' settings so I guess I'm not alone in this.

Sure would appreciate some help.

Thanks,
Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Jerky Video with Audio 'Same as Audio Playback'
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:16:13 pm »

What audio output are you using?

If you use WASAPI, please install the latest build and try the event style WASAPI.

It would also be worth trying ASIO if your hardware supports it.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 01:22:13 pm »

What audio output are you using?

If you use WASAPI, please install the latest build and try the event style WASAPI.

It would also be worth trying ASIO if your hardware supports it.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks.

Thanks for the prompt response, Matt.

I am using ASIO. It's on an old P4 Dell Desktop  w XP SP3. BTW it does 869 on your Benchmark test - a surprise that it was that good. Video is all standard def.

Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 01:30:12 pm »

Does changing the buffering slider in ASIO settings help?  Also, does the 'Use large hardware buffers' setting make any difference?

I use 0.1 seconds for buffering.  You don't want a lot of latency for video, so the default of 0.5 is on the too large side.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 02:27:48 pm »

Does changing the buffering slider in ASIO settings help?  Also, does the 'Use large hardware buffers' setting make any difference?

I use 0.1 seconds for buffering.  You don't want a lot of latency for video, so the default of 0.5 is on the too large side.

The buffering slider was set at 4.5 seconds. I took it down to .1 and that solved the jerky video problem. I believe I had it that high because of getting scratchy noises during some audio playback. But I don't remember if that was with my old EMU 0404USB DAC or our new Essence ST internal. Use Large Hardwar Buffers was checked and I have left it that way.

I played several audio  rips and they all seem okay. Tried portions of several movies and the only odd thing is that the volume is weak on most, but not all of them. I have Mixing set to JRSS and For Stereo Sources Only Mix to 2.1. In Video I have FFDShow Audio Decoder set for Dolby Digital II. This way I get 2.1 for audio and 5.1 for DVD Video. I'll have to spend some more time on the weak audio problem with most movies, and if I can't solve it maybe start another thread.

Thanks so much for your 'Brainpower' this weekend!

Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 03:18:55 pm »

Glad you got it working.

Tried portions of several movies and the only odd thing is that the volume is weak on most, but not all of them.

You should double-check that Mixer and probably any other DSPs are disabled in FFDShow.

But I think Dolby Digital normally outputs a lower level than something like a music CD.  I think it's because then it has the headroom to get really loud if it wants.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:58:09 pm »

I played several audio  rips and they all seem okay. Tried portions of several movies and the only odd thing is that the volume is weak on most, but not all of them. I have Mixing set to JRSS and For Stereo Sources Only Mix to 2.1. In Video I have FFDShow Audio Decoder set for Dolby Digital II. This way I get 2.1 for audio and 5.1 for DVD Video. I'll have to spend some more time on the weak audio problem with most movies, and if I can't solve it maybe start another thread.
You can set your Output Format set to "5.1" and your mixing to "no mixing." If you have Bass Management enabled in Room Correction then you get 2.1 with 2.0 sources and 5.1 with multichannel sources. You don't need Dolby Digital II selected in FFDShow.

If you are mixing to 2.1 with JRSS and also redirecting bass with Room Correction, you are doubling up filters on 2.0 sources and won't have the best quality.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Jerky Video with Audio 'Same as Audio Playback' [solved]
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:23 pm »

Since we have similar setups, I though maybe I should just list what I am using:

Soundcard:  Essence ST with H6 daughter card
Driver:  Asus Xonar Unified Driver 1.11 (I'm not sure this works on XP)
Output Format:
     - ASIO
     - Large Hardware Buffers:  checked
     - Channel Swap:  I swap channels
     - As low as possible without problems (.1 - .5 seconds)
     - Volume Device:  Speakers (Essence ST)
     - Audio for Video is set to use same device as audio playback

Output Format: 
     - Sample Rate:  No Resampling
     - Bitdepth:  24-bit (if using ASIO, I think it use 24 bit anyway since the card is 24-bit)
     - Channels:  7.1
     - Mixing:  JRSS
     - For stereo sources only mix to 2.1:  checked
     - Subwoofer:  both option boxes are checked (This is important to enable maximum dynamic range.)
     - Crossover is set to "silent"

(The JRSS settings are so 5.1 is mixed to 7.1. Nothing is done with 2.0 sources with these settings. Since you are only using 5.1, I would recommend "No Mixing.")

Room Correction Bass Management Settings
     - Subwoofer distance is set 1 foot closer than measured distance
     - Crossover:  80 Hz for mains/center, 100 Hz for surrounds
     - Routing:  Move bass to subwoofer
     - High Pass Filter:  24 db/octave
     - Low Pass Filter:  24 db/octave

ffdshow audio settings
I don't use any of the ffdshow DSP's when ffdshow is my decoder.

Volume Control
     - Application Volume is muted (only with Vista or Windows 7)
     - Internal Volume is selected as method to control volume
     - System volume is kept low for other applications
Pages: [1]   Go Up