INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Drive Acces Error Win XP Non-Admin Account  (Read 3124 times)

Smitnd

CD Drive Acces Error Win XP Non-Admin Account
« on: September 22, 2010, 05:44:58 pm »

Media Jukebox 14.0.166 (Originaly posted this with Media Jukebox 12.0.49 installed)
Windows XP Pro
Trying to Run MJ from within a local Power Users profile.

Hi,

I just created a non-admin user account and when I try to play a CD, MJ throws up a permissions error:

CD Drive Access Error
There was a permission error accessing the CD drive.
You must be logged in with administrator privileges to have full access to the CD drives.
(This is a MJ Error not a windows error - it even has the option to not show this message again)

I have already figured out how to run the program as administrator but If I can help it, I'd rather run MJ from within the non-admin profile - Other then not having access to the CD drives everything else with MJ seems to be working great!  :)

So... Does anyone know of any reg keys or whatever that I can set to give MJ permission to access the drives from within the non-admin account?

Thanks!

Update: 20:15 09/22/10
Ok - so I just installed Media Jukebox 14.0.166 and so far it's looking pretty cool, however I'm still getting the pesky CD Drive Access Error - any ideas on how to get MJ to play CDs from a non-admin user profile? I can actually drill down and see the song files on the CD, it just won't allow me to play them.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: CD Drive Acces Error Win XP Non-Admin Account
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:59:44 pm »

MJ14 is on the download page.  Please try it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:40:42 am »

I'm still getting the pesky CD Drive Access Error

Does The CD Work With Other Software?

I Normaly Use MC For Audio, Whenever I Had A Error With MC Most Of The Time I Found It A Problem With The Drive Or Drivers For One Reason Or Another.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Smitnd

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 05:18:41 pm »

Hi KingSparta

This is so cool. I SOLVED it! Yeah the music CD that I tried works with other software (such as WMP) and the CD drives are working fine. If I gave the profile admin rights, MJ worked like a charm, but I didn't want to do that and I didn't want to run MJ through the administrator account. I wanted the Power User account to run MJ under it's own permissions.

So after doing some digging on google, I finaly found a setting that needed to be changed through the Group Policy Editor.

-Log on with an administrator account:

-Go to Start / Run - In the Open box type gpedit.msc

-In Computer Configuration drill down to:
---Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
---Enable the "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only" option
---Reboot the computer

Description from Microsoft's Technet:

"This security setting determines whether a CD-ROM is accessible to both local and remote users simultaneously.

If this policy is enabled, it allows only the interactively logged-on user to access removable CD-ROM media. If this policy is enabled and no one is logged on interactively, the CD-ROM can be accessed over the network.

Default: Disabled."

Apparently, to get MJ to run within a non-admin user profile, it has to be explicity stated that only the logged-on local user profile will have access to the CD drives.

Now MJ is running slicker-than-slick - that was all there was to it.

Thanks!  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up