INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error Message, Can't Work  (Read 1201 times)

TimsDesk

Error Message, Can't Work
« on: January 14, 2011, 03:55:09 pm »

I have the latest version of MC and I have set it up to play under WASAPI (which I was told to use for the best sound) - when I give it access to have exclusive control, it works fine, but then I can't hear my computer sounds (like Skype trying to call in) and I can't listen to internet video - unless I have MC turned off.  The minute I uncheck the box to allow MC to have exclusive control - MC will play my 24/96 audio files but not my 16/41.  When I follow the recommendations given by MC for changing the Output perameters, it still will not work.  I am getting really frustrated try to make this program work.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

roopertd

• Recent member
Re: Error Message, Can't Work
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:38:47 pm »

when I give it access to have exclusive control, it works fine, but then I can't hear my computer sounds]when I give it access to have exclusive control, it works fine, but then I can't hear my computer sounds

That is because the control over the sound output is exclusive.

I use ASIO with my PCI soundcard but have exclusive control enabled, and I get the same result as you. No other sounds. I believe that is the point of it.

To hear the computer sounds i have a cheep set up very small speakers attached to my on board sound card.
These are usually left off. For them to work i set my on board soundcard as my default sound device(in windows volume control). Works great.

There is nothing worse than listing to music with the volume turned way up because of replay gain, then having a skype call come in at a ridiculous volume.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 08:26:22 am »

- when I give it access to have exclusive control, it works fine, but then I can't hear my computer sounds (like Skype trying to call in) and I can't listen to internet video - unless I have MC turned off.  The minute I uncheck the box to allow MC to have exclusive control - MC will play my 24/96 audio files but not my 16/41.

Actually, this a quite accurate description of the WASAPI features as Microsoft designed them to work in Vista and later.

The WASAPI modes bypass resampling, channel coupling and some other DSP features that are built in the Windows audio engine. The Exclusive WASAPI mode is literally exclusive - only the audio stream that uses it can get through. The audio signals from other programs that may try to play audio are blocked.

The "non-exclusive" WASAPI mode allows other programs to play simultaneously, but it still bypasses the processing in the Windows audio engine (it connects to the stream later) and thus the  "non-exclusive" WASAPI audio stream must already be in the correct format (= as set in the Windows output options).

The normal mode is DirectSound. It allows the Windows audio engine to process and mix the incoming signals so that the final outputted audio stream is in the format that is set in the Windows audio options.

You can see the WASAPI Exclusive mode as an audio purist's mode. It is useful when the computer is used as a dedicated audio player.
DirectSound is the "computer" mode. It is useful when the user runs various applications that may output audio. The "non-exclusive" WASAPI mode is not very useful because it does not do either of these two things properly.

In general, the quality differences between the output modes are negligible. The distortions that are caused by the signal processing in the Windows mixer are practically below the hearing threshold of the human auditory system. You should choose the output mode according to your intended use.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 08:32:11 am »

There is nothing worse than listing to music with the volume turned way up because of replay gain, then having a skype call come in at a ridiculous volume.

Vista and later have application specific volume adjustments. You can set MC to play at the maximum volume and reduce the volume level of the system sounds and other applications.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up