INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why only six restores?  (Read 927 times)

Mastiff

Why only six restores?
« on: June 19, 2002, 01:12:17 am »

I'm on the free version right now, but I'm *this* close to upgrading to the Pro. But one thing I don't like is the limited restores. I've got three computers I want to use the program on, and I usually reinstall my systems about three to four times a year (any Windows installation should be fixed that often, it would eradicate 90 % of all complaints about blue screens). Which means twelve reinstalls every year. So why the six restore limit? It seems kinf of extreme. If you worry about codes being obused in the Warez community, I'd say that a key on the loose there would give you about 60 restores every day!
So how about using a more user friendly amount, like 20 restores a year?

Tor

Harry The Hipster

RE:Why only six restores?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 01:23:20 am »

Issue was extensively debated in a prior thread. You cn find it through "Search Forums". Any number is arbitrary. This one seems to make sense to the developers.

HTH

nila

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 03:15:07 am »

If you only do 3 or 4 reinstalls a year your ok.

The way this works is that once you do a restore and save your license key, you then get 15 days to reinstall it on all systems.
So if you format one system you then need to format all the others too within the next 15 days and use the restoration key to reinstall MJ again on the other machines. This would allow you to stay within the 6.

The other idea they suggested is to just use it for 30 days for the trial version before restoring it therefore giving you the most likely chance of knowing your installation is going to last before wasting a restore. This is what I'm doing right now after a fresh install.

I agree with you though, any version on a warez site would be getting used hundreds of times per day and so 20 or so per year would still be perfectly safe. Anyway, it's their product and it's up to them. I too was 'that' close to buying the Pro one because of this feature but in the end decided to just buy it anyway. Once my 6 for the year run out I'm planning on coming back in here and begging and pleading for another 6 for the year. With any luck they'll see I'm a genuine user and do it. They're usually pretty helpful with most requests.
If they say no then I'll just be doing lots more alot more reinstalls than usual Next Page

Mastiff

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2002, 03:38:26 am »

Well, when I've installed one of the computers I don't want to see an installation cd for a while! They're quite complicated, with a lot of special hard- and software. So doing several within a short period drives me nuts!

Tor

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2002, 05:08:28 am »

It is a compromise between satisfying users and satisfying our own needs.  The problem we had to solve was this:  How do we allow you reasonable flexibility in installing on your home machines and perhaps your office machine, but still get paid.

We could charge $25 for every computer you installed on.  We don't.  We allow you to install it on multiple machines with a single license key, provided you do it within 14 days.  

You can have a new license key generated anytime you want, up to 6 times per year.

I've said before, that if we find that more than a few people can't reasonably do this, we will raise the number of annual restores.

As HTH says, we've beaten this horse for a while several times before.  I ask that you give us a break, believe that we have your interests in mind, and won't try to pull a fast one on you.

Jim Hillegass
JRiver
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Mastiff

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2002, 05:55:54 am »

I see your point, and I can sympathize with it. I actually didn't know that this had been discussed as thoroughly as it has, since I haven't had the chance to check with the forum for a few weeks. I'll shut up now.

Tor

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2002, 06:31:14 am »

You're a prince.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up