INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interactive Music CDs and ripping  (Read 1475 times)

khaos10

Interactive Music CDs and ripping
« on: June 18, 2002, 07:14:39 pm »

While I never bought a music CD because it was interactive, I'm forced having one because I want the music.
When trying to rip (using APE) any interactive CD such as Fiona Apple or The Black Crowes most recent release, Lions, MJ is unable to rip the last song. It also happened on an older Best of Blue Oyster Cult CD that had AOL subscription software on it.

Does anyone else have this issue also? If not then is it hardware related with the ROM? If you also face this issue did you find a fix?
All the songs will rip fine except for the last one.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Interactive Music CDs and ripping
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2002, 05:08:27 am »

Please post your system info here (look on MJ's help menu). I've tried several interactive CD's (including the Fiona Apple CD) here and haven't been able to duplicate the problem.

Thanks,
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Chico

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2002, 06:09:09 am »

About the only problem I've run across with the interactive CDs (besides automaticly starting when inserted) is the file size and length of the track.  Seems whenever I insert the interactive cd, MJ reads the length and size as 10x what it should be.  In other words, MJ reads a 33 Mbyte song (cda) thats 3 minutes long as 330 Mbytes and 30 minutes. Doesn't cause any problems, it's just wierd.

Sentient

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2002, 12:55:21 pm »

I have both of these problems on my home machine but not on my work machine.  I did notice one thing.  When I first inserted Offspring's Americana in my home machine the track lengths and times were right. I saw that because I cancelled CDDB lookup since I didn't want to go on line at that instant.  Later when I logged on and went to CDDB the times and track lenghts and even file sizes grew tremendously, but hey I got song titles.  Interestingly the track times got shorter for later songs.  When I did some math I saw that the track lenght was the sum of the current track's time plus the times for all subsequent tracks.  I just assumed someone put goofy information into CDDB and since MJ takes what it is given without question, I would just have to edit it myself.  (Please note the plug for Freedb)

I also cannot rip the last track of an interactive CD on my home machine in digital secure moe.  It WILL rip in digital large buffer mode.  My work around is to rip all tracks in secure mode, read the report to verify that the track is good, except for the final failure (at time 00:00 even though earlier times in the same track are right).  Then I re-rip the last track using digital large buffer.  

Finally MJ has great trouble seeing into the interactive part of the CD on my home machine.  When I select it in the left pane I get nearly a dozen left pane redraw attempts before it settles down.  The  directories always appear empty, and MJ wants to go get a plugin from Real, but fails.

I just stay away from those parts of MJ and things go alright.  It is a good jukebox and visualization player.  

I have seen enough responses to this problem in this forum to know that JRiver believes these are driver problems in win98se, not MJ.  So I know we will get no help on those issues here.  Everything else works perfectly on that machine so I live with it and use the workaround in MJ.

At work I tried ripping track13 of Americana and the last track rips fine on this win2k machine, CDDB is not accessible here so track times look good.  Browsing the data part of the disk did not cause any left pane redraw repeats but did call up a firewall password dialog and then tried to download something from REAL which failed.  Now MJ appears hung with a please wait...gathering information dialog box and the inability to redraw its right pane when selected.  The please wait, gathering information dialog will not clear when I press cancel, so it looks like that part of the problem with interactive CDs is similar on both machines.  I can clear the dialog box with the close window control.  The directories all appear to be empty.

There is apparently a lot going on here and it behaves differently on different machines and operating systems.  It is clear that MJ is far more stable on the later windows versions, which is not surprising.  Newer op systems are not going to help those of us with oder hardware unfortunately, so I will just keep living with it as it is.  Which is, in the words of Jerry Pournelle, "infuriatingly excellent".

Good luck.

Sentient

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2002, 01:07:16 pm »

Sentient,
> It is clear that MJ is far more stable on the later windows versions, which is not surprising.

Windows is also more stable on the machines running the "later windows versions".

It would be nice if there was a Windows OS.  Just one OS.  Sigh.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Sentient

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2002, 02:34:26 pm »

I feel for you.

I must admit the latest builds are getting much better on win98.  If it gets to be as stable on that machine as Nero is for burning and EAC is for ripping I will be as pleased as punch.  It is already as stable and dependable as winamp is for playback.  

Keep up the good work and please don't give up on us folks with aging hardware and software.

Sentient

khaos10

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2002, 06:10:35 pm »

OK my specs:

Soyo K7A Dragon Plus mobo
AMD Athlon 1.53GHz (OC by clock only) CPU temp never goes above 44c, case never above 35c
512MB Crucial PC2100 RAM in two 256MB sticks
Dual Boot:
98SE (40GB WD 7200rpm ATA100)
WIN2000 which MJ8 is installed to (80GB WD 7200rpm ATA100)
2 extra HDs, both NTFS format, (60GB Maxtor 7200rpm ATA100)(120GB WD 7200rpm ATA100)
Pioneer DVD ROM 14x
LiteOn 40x12x48x CDRW
Iomega 100MB Zip drive
No A: drive
SB Live Value
GeForce4 Ti 4600

The DVD and CDRW are on IDE1
The Zip and Maxtor drive are on IDE2
The 98SE and 2000 are on IDE3 RAID controller running as IDE
The 120GB drive is on IDE4 and is where the rips go to.

I'm using Win2000, and I'm also using digital large buffer.
It refuses to burn the last track of an interactive CD and that track does not show an inflated time for itself.

The error message is:

Failed To Read Sector 232718: Incorrect Function

khaos10

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2002, 05:05:50 pm »

No other suggestions?

sekim

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2002, 05:15:25 pm »

Interactive cds are a pain with MJ. To get around this I had my friend copy the cd on a stand-alone cd burner. I know, not much help when dealing with MJ. However, since the stand-alone burner does not read the data portion of the discs' in question I had no problem with the copy when ripping into MJ.

Maybe future versions of MJ will be able to nail down just the .wav portion of these types of discs'. Have no interest in seeing the videos that are included with enhanced disc cds.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2002, 05:19:28 pm »

Try a search on google for "felt tip pen" and "CD".
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

sekim

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2002, 07:25:18 pm »

Felt pens or not, I do not believe this will prevent the enhanced, or interactive disc data from being read. I posted a question about this some time ago to see if anyone else had a similar probem when trying to rip one of these types of cds. No response. Not sure, but I don't think this is the same as the copy protected variety that are out now. One disc I have has a total file size in excess of 1.5 GB. That is not a misprint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up