INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just restored, no thumbs [SOLVED]  (Read 1319 times)

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Just restored, no thumbs [SOLVED]
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:27:04 pm »

This happened during repair of my last catastrophic drive failure.

Lost my OS drive, restored library but on a new drive, and MC - pointing to same location for thumbs, creates a new Thumbnail folder and won't use contents of the original which is attached to the restored library.

Not a big deal, but something isn't working to link these saved archives (thumbs + library).

I am mistaken that the thumbs should be mapped instantly to Tiles correctly, or will they need to re-populate (not re-build....Thumbnail folder isn't changing size since I copied on 1.7GB from correct Thumb folder) ??

)p(

Re: Just restored, no thumbs
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:39:09 am »

Occasionally the media server crashes for me when the server comes out of sleep. When that happens I also loose my thumbnails and have to rebuild. Maybe these issues are connected.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:52:10 am »

Got it!

MC does create the new folder, but that is misleading.

For some reason, this morning I simply copied my Thumbnail backup contents back to the 1st folder (I've had the same unique identifier forever), AGAIN, and all the thumbs were mapped.

Glad I gave it a 2nd go as I think a reboot was involved to.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:34:25 am »

Unless there is an undocumented change in MC15, a restore always resets the cached thumbnails and new thumbnails are created from the scratch by reading the source cover art, video and image files.

You can replace the files in the thumbnail cache with manually backed up files after the library is restored (and when MC is not running), but when MC is restarted it may detect that the thumbnail cache is not exactly synced and the cache will be erased and recreated.

The only sure way to back up the library data and the cached thumbnails is to close MC and manually back up the library files and the files in the thumbnail cache (in addition to storing a library backup file if the intention is to back up & restore also the user settings). Then the thumbnail cache will be exactly synced because the library has not been run after the thumbnail files were last saved.

The restore process would then go as follows:
1. Restore the library (if you want to restore the user settings).
2. Close MC.
3. Replace the library files and the files in thumbnail cache with the separately backed up files.
4  Start MC and have everything nicely restored.

BTW, 1.7 GB is quite a big cache size. How many files of each media type do you have? I guess that if you have a huge amount of image files the cache size can grow significantly. My cache appears to be 544 MB for my main library (about 80,000 audio, 1,000 video, and 11,000 image files).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

HiFiTubes

Re: Just restored, no thumbs [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:18:42 am »

Yes, for some reason, the manual restore of the Thumbnail cache did not take hold until a full system reboot.

Pretty sure this is a pretty "fresh" thumbnail cache and using:

122,000 Audio
20,000 Images
1650 Videos
Pages: [1]   Go Up