INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme horizontal tearing  (Read 1735 times)

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
Extreme horizontal tearing
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:43:08 pm »

Hi!

Lately, I have gotten a lot of horizontal tearing playing videos. I didn't have this before. Sorry, I can't tell you exactly when it started (in which build), but I'm guessing it has something to do with the playback engine, not MC itself.

For MKV files, I'm using JRiver Engine using Directshow Filters and selected Haali Media Splitter/FFDShow video & audio decoders/Enhanced renderer. This used to work fine before, so can anyone help me out with which settings to try in Haali/FFDShow? I'm using Windows 7 and Aero theme is enabled.

I haven't updated Haali, FFDShow nor my ATI video drivers in a long time, so I know it was working before with these versions. Is there a change in MC lately that affects how it uses the filters so I need to update my filters?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Extreme horizontal tearing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »

Nothing I've seen has changed.  Of course, I am running newer drivers on my systems.

My gut-instinct guess would be that something borked itself up in your video card drivers, so I'd probably start with that.  The best option, if you're having trouble, is a full uninstall/reinstall.  I'd do this:

0. Download the Guru3D Driver Sweeper program from here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28Setup%29_d1655.html
1. Get Driver Sweeper installed, but don't use it yet.  Be careful of the StumbleUpon install while you are going through the install wizard (unless you want StumbleUpon, there's nothing wrong with it).
2. Uninstall the ATI/AMD Catalyst (the whole package) via the Windows Uninstall a Program Control Panel.
3. Reboot to SAFE MODE (pound F8 like an animal while you are booting, just before the Windows loading splash screen appears, and it'll give you a menu).
4. Run Driver Sweeper from within Safe Mode, check the ATI box, and have it remove what it finds.  More info on using Driver Sweeper can be found here: http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
5. Reboot back into "normal" Windows.
6. Download the current AMD Drivers for your card here: http://ati.amd.com/
7. Install them.
8. Reboot one last time.

I bet that'll fix you up.  However, if it doesn't, you could have something else going on.  Haali's splitter has been updated lately and is now much more stable and compatible with Windows 7 (especially 64-bit versions).  I'm running the 2010-09-25 beta build of CCCP and it is working fine here, aside from a small issue with Media Player Classic.  You could use that if you'd like, or get the individual components yourself.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

audunth

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:27:45 am »

I tried the above steps, installing the latest ATI Catalyst 10.9 driver. Also updated to the latest FFDShow and Haali versions (061010 by clsid for FFDShow and 140810 for Haali). Still the same horizontal tearing at the bottom of the screen.

Any other setting I could try? Doesn't help changing rendreres either.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers

audunth

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:20:18 am »

Installed ReClock 1.8.7.1 and its Vsync option seems to help with the tearing. Have to test some more to see if it's totally gone.

However, this forces ReClock to alter the sound, so it's not a great solution. I want bitperfect sound for best sound quality. So if someone any other suggestions I'm very thankful.

By the way, can Vsync options be added to MC somehow?
Cheers,
Audun

My system:

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 10:31:01 am »

Are you in PAL Land?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

audunth

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:26:02 pm »

Yeah, I'm in PAL land. But I get the tearing on all my mkv files (US bluray encodes, European bluray encodes and US and European HDTV encodes). I have a Sony KDL-40V2000 LCD and I'm running 1360x768@60Hz through a VGA cable, since this is the native resolution and 1:1 pixelmapping don't work through HDMI. I can't get the display to accept any other refresh rate than 60Hz.

I also have a 1280x720 Infocus projector, but I can't recall seeing any tearing on that. I haven't used in a little while, cause I have no screen for it at the moment. The projector is connected with HDMI through a Yamaha receiver. Audio in the living room where I have the LCD also goes through the receiver, but using analog connections from the onboard sound card. Zone 2 on the Yamaha receiver only accepts analog connections.

I've tried all the available video renderers, also fiddling around with resize, different color spaces and several other options in FFDShow. Even tried AC3Filter instead of FFDShow for audio.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
Pages: [1]   Go Up