INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client connects w/server but gets disconnected when MC15 is restarted.  (Read 2013 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen

My client machine is now able to use "Connect To Library" to access music and library from the server. However, the client keeps loosing it's the connection to the server everytime MC15 is closed/re-opened on the client - also losing any client customized view settings (i.e. selected columns, widths, playlists etc). 

What I would like to accomplish is the following:
1) Keep Client connected or have it automatically connect even after closing MC15 on client or rebooting of client/server.
2)To have the client(s) be able to access music and playlists on the server.
3) Client(s) cannot make any changes that affect the server or the actual music. 
4) Client(s) should be able to create their own playlists and if possible set ratings (not a must)
5) Most importantly, client(s) should be able to set their own views and have them stay that way even when they disconnect/re-connect (i.e. selected columns, order of columns, widths etc)

Can you tell me if these goals are possible and what settings I need to accomplish them?   

My current method for client/server communications was to change my router settings to open an incoming port and after getting an "access key" on the server, I used it to "Connect To Library" on the client. 

Thank you,.
Susie

Thank you again!
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

tangolovers

• World Citizen
Re: Client connects w/server but gets disconnected when MC15 is restarted.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 04:43:53 pm »

Hi folks,

Is there any one out there who might be able to help me with this.  I feel like I was so close, but no cigar...

Thanks a million,
Susie
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

Visth

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 08:00:44 pm »

I was hoping to do the same... use a netbook or similar small PC to connect to the HTPC using a client in theater view on this small nettop. It should connect automatically (and not require you to go to library --> connect) each time you open it up. Basically, use it as a remote control. Updating the There: zone X playlist and being able to delete songs and videos is sort of important as well. I concur with the list you compiled in your post entirely.

an alternative that I use now is remote desktop. Basically use remote desktop client to control the HTPC directly. Works very well and is the only real viable option sofar for me. The XPremote stuff is just not functional enough and looses connection or becomes asynchronous with the HTPC media center too easily.

Maybe I am missing something here as well. Not the most experienced user yet  :) :) Open to suggestions. love to be able to control the HTPC via the client though...

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:06:11 pm »

My client machine is now able to use "Connect To Library" to access music and library from the server. However, the client keeps loosing it's the connection to the server everytime MC15 is closed/re-opened on the client - also losing any client customized view settings (i.e. selected columns, widths, playlists etc). 

What I would like to accomplish is the following:
1) Keep Client connected or have it automatically connect even after closing MC15 on client or rebooting of client/server.

If you close MC on the client, then restart MC on the client, it will go back to the same library that was loaded when it was closed.
I use this everyday at work and that's how it works.

2)To have the client(s) be able to access music and playlists on the server.

Whatever is in the library that is loaded on the server, I see from the client.  Music, photos, and data files in my case.
3) Client(s) cannot make any changes that affect the server or the actual music. 
4) Client(s) should be able to create their own playlists and if possible set ratings (not a must)
From a client, tags can be edited and ratings can be changed.  Nothing else is editable (viewschemes, playlists).

5) Most importantly, client(s) should be able to set their own views and have them stay that way even when they disconnect/re-connect (i.e. selected columns, order of columns, widths etc)

Not in the current version. Maybe in an enhancement upgrade down the road.

AlanB

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 09:27:05 am »

Hi - I have just started using MC,and am having this same library disconnection problem. I connect to the server library from my client, and can see and use the server libray, controlling playback on the server etc. When I restart the client, sometimes the connection is maintained, but often it is not, and I fall back to the default client library. I can connect again the the server library, so there does not seem to be a network problem.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks!

AlanB

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:45:44 pm »

So, I have found that if I call Media Center 15 from the command line (mc15.exe) it starts up correctly - with the previous library (server library). If I start Media Center by using the quick start icon, it fails to start with the server library, and only opens its default library.

Am I missing something here or is this a bug?

AlanB

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 04:30:45 pm »

Actually, to be specific, if I use the Connect command, so - 

mc15.exe Connect /m01p://Ipaddress:port

it works fine, and the client starts immediately connected to the Library server. But if i just use the Media Center short cut from the start menu or taskbar (Windows 7), it always opens in the default (client) library.

Any suggestions/advice please?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 04:29:31 pm »

Perhaps you are using the "Connect to Library..." feature. The server search is not designed to run automatically on startup.

MC remembers to load the last used used server library if it is stored in the list of libraries and loaded by using the File > Library > Load Library... menu. I attached a screenshot of Library Manager.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

AlanB

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 05:56:03 am »

Hi Alex,

thanks for that information. You are correct, I was using the 'Connect to library' feature, because this effectively gives me 'remote control' over the server, while loading the library server does not.

It is this 'remote control' aspect I need to use. Having found I can start MC15 from the Command line, connected to the library server, i can get what i want by using a .bat file to start MC15.

I misunderstood the information about starting in the last used server, and thought it applied to the 'Connect to library' feature also.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:05:54 am »

The load library feature works the same way.
You just need to specify the library in the list using an ip address or remote host name instead of a local drive letter.

This works great for me at work every day and always remembers and reconnects to home when I launch MC.
No batch files required.

Go into library manager and click Add.  There's even example help on that screen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up