INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library view of most-played song names  (Read 3205 times)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
Library view of most-played song names
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:18:30 am »

We have a lot of music from the 40s and 50s which include songs (the same song title) sung by multiple artists (as well as sung by the same artist on multiple albums, different takes).  I'm trying to create a "most popular" song view - actually, a most-listened-to song view.

I've created a library view that works nicely in displaying and grouping the songs in descending AVERAGE number of plays order.  Is there any way to get AVERAGE number of plays to be TOTAL number of plays for this kind of view?

If not, and if this is feasible, could I ask for this to be considered as a small "feature request".

Thanks.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library view of most-played song names
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:23:57 am »

We have a lot of music from the 40s and 50s which include songs (the same song title) sung by multiple artists (as well as sung by the same artist on multiple albums, different takes).  I'm trying to create a "most popular" song view - actually, a most-listened-to song view.

I've created a library view that works nicely in displaying and grouping the songs in descending AVERAGE number of plays order.  Is there any way to get AVERAGE number of plays to be TOTAL number of plays for this kind of view?

If not, and if this is feasible, could I ask for this to be considered as a small "feature request".

Thanks.
i also think it would be nice if we could have have some influence on totals or averages.
but besides that.. are you using thumbs to show the averages? if so, have you thought about using
math([number plays,0]*[track #])

just a thought.

:)
gab

... wont help with the sorting . but its a nice problem..

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:35:00 am »

Yes, I'm using thumbs and I'll try that, gappie, thanks.  I'm not very swift when it comes to using expressions - the syntax and usage is confusing to me - but I *did* try [number of plays]*[number of tracks], I believe, in the thumbnail text.  I wasn't expecting much when trying something like this, and that's what I got... nothing much.  :)

Generally, though, I've been very pleased with some of the library views I've managed to create with the help here.  It's very powerful and flexible stuff.  But in the case of older music like this (and to a certain extent, classical music) I find myself wanting solutions/views that I wouldn't have wanted for more conventional albums.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:50:21 am »

the only reporting view in MC is the detailed view and that gives you (only) averages (except for "#"), when you want to see totals, you want to see maximum or minium etc...

we got the math function on detailed/item level, hopefully we do get some report functions as well some day..

the only way to get some "reports" is to bring the data outside and then apply it back
MT5FR

gappie

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:53:44 am »

Yes, I'm using thumbs and I'll try that, gappie, thanks.  I'm not very swift when it comes to using expressions - the syntax and usage is confusing to me - but I *did* try [number of plays]*[number of tracks], I believe, in the thumbnail text.  I wasn't expecting much when trying something like this, and that's what I got... nothing much.  :)

Generally, though, I've been very pleased with some of the library views I've managed to create with the help here.  It's very powerful and flexible stuff.  But in the case of older music like this (and to a certain extent, classical music) I find myself wanting solutions/views that I wouldn't have wanted for more conventional albums.
when you dont succeed, just post again.
in this case.. [track #] under a thumb will give the total of tracks, its one of the few (maybe only one) that gives totals.. so actually the [number of tracks] you tried.  8)
the math is necessary when you want to do a calculation.

when you have a clear idea about what you want from a view and how you want to tread it different, for instance with classical music, i think it is worth a thread since you are for sure not the only one. there have been some threads about classical music organization in the past.

gab

edit... this might be interesting for you: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45824.0

gappie

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:24:41 am »

the only reporting view in MC is the detailed view and that gives you (only) averages (except for "#"),
thumbnails also can report very nicely. 8)
 i was thinking ... there are others. just jumped to my mind. duration.

gab

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:04 am »

but gappie that is the same view is it not ?, but in details, you get a little bit more "report like"
MT5FR

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:33:31 am »

btw, the name was changed to categories some time ago i think..
MT5FR

gappie

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:42:21 am »

but gappie that is the same view is it not ?
could be  8) i just thought you referred to list style: details

gab

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:50:41 am »

could be  8) i just thought you referred to list style: details

maybe...i still having troubel to understand what to do with categories, when it is not in detailed format, so therefore my answer  :)
MT5FR

gappie

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 11:16:36 am »

maybe...i still having troubel to understand what to do with categories, when it is not in detailed format, so therefore my answer  :)
what i do is what most do i guess, but with some extra info. for artists.

where i should note that getting album totals is a bit tricky..  8) and needs user input (or a plug).
then double click (note i use artists)

one thing i really like though is using categories and hide them again. the next images gives the fileslist at the right with album thumbs, but only in the tree the categories. to do that you first have to make the category before setting it to filelist.  :)

hope people get some ideas from it.

:P
gab

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 11:23:33 am »

thanks gappie, that is nice, but without panes, a "no no" for me
MT5FR

gappie

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 11:29:08 am »

thanks gappie, that is nice, but without panes, a "no no" for me
hehe.. ;D. i thought so, could not resist to answer though, to show of a bit. i use panes only for tagging.  8)
i prefer filelists if necessary with the search.

amazing what one can do with this piece of software.

gab

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 11:31:52 am »

amazing what one can do with this piece of software.

jupp..only changed my way of life  :P
MT5FR

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 11:42:50 am »

Gappie - your 1st example/image is darn close to what I'm looking for except, obviously, by song... and instead of "3 Albums", "x plays" (and I wouldn't need total time).

Is MC summing the times?  Or are you doing that externally?

What do you mean by "user input"?  If it's simple I might go for it since I don't expect this to change for me *that* often.

gappie

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 12:03:48 pm »

Gappie - your 1st example/image is darn close to what I'm looking for except, obviously, by song... and instead of "3 Albums", "x plays" (and I wouldn't need total time).

Is MC summing the times?  Or are you doing that externally?

What do you mean by "user input"?  If it's simple I might go for it since I don't expect this to change for me *that* often.
mc is indeed summing the times.
the user input for getting the albums is, in my case the total tracks on an album (i have a plug that calculates some stuf and writes that in the tags). i needed that anyway for the calculation and thought it looked nice in Theater View info template. but any way. when tracks total are there, then you need to make a calculated field too with the rule:
Code: [Select]
If(isequal([track #],[Tracks Total],2),[Tracks Total],0)which actually says that when its the last track on the album to give the track no, otherwise a 0.
now there is something we could work with: using this under a thumb, will give the average track # per album of the artist (because mc does not take the value 0 in account, for mc the avg for 0,1,3 is 2). track# devided by this average gives the album total.
 :P

now when you want to add the track totals by hand, only for this, it would be enough to do that for the last track of the album (making smartlists to see if everything is ok a bit easier) (nope).
the rest seems difficult but when you go that way its the least work, i could help there a bit to get it right.

gab

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 05:34:16 pm »

Gappie - The calculation you provided - math([number plays,0]*[track #]) - works very well.  That's the number I was looking for.  Thanks!  But, as you stated, it doesn't help sort-wise.  Maybe the JR folks will agree and provide this functionality in the future but, for now, I'm happy to have this.

I like some of the views you provided and will make an attempt to steal duplicate them later.  Thanks for that too.

I also need to find an explanation for the "math" function because I don't have a clue what it does and how to use it.

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 05:56:34 pm »

edit... this might be interesting for you: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45824.0

Thanks.  I try to read the posts here religiously and happened to note that thread when I was beginning to lay out my classical CDs earlier this year.  Although I didn't feel like committing the effort to THAT much detail, the thread did allow me to more quickly come to grips with what I did want.  Field-wise, I think we're good.

What I'm finding over time is that our database fields, and certainly the library views to make then useful, vary quite a bit from genre to genre.  The great part is how capable MC can be in handling that... but the same can't be said of me!  :)

gappie

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 01:35:15 am »

nice you got it working. the Math function does not do much it, just says:
"shhh i need to calculate this"
so putting 1+2 in a calculated field or where ever you can use expressions, will give you 1+2. Math(1+2) wil give 3.  :)
there is a small thing to know.. with deviding you may need to use two // .

All the expression that can be used are here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_expression_language

gab

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 12:06:03 am »

Thanks again! 

The page has been updated since I last saw it.  More reading.  Cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up