INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Queue up conversions  (Read 1029 times)

park

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I wish I had more to say!
Queue up conversions
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »

Lots of nice work being done on Library server this week.

One thing that would take the sting out of trying to browse large files from a remote location would be if we could queue up files for conversion in advance of trying to play them back.

For example, when I get home at night I could select my most recent batch of raw photos, and a couple of TV shows and set them to convert while I sleep, and then browse them with little latency the next day when I am working remotely.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Queue up conversions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:30:07 pm »

I think you can...  Set up a generic handheld and use the Conversion Cache features.  Wouldn't that work?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 03:32:50 am »

Thinking through my request a bit more I see that I'm actually asking for more than I thought. I'd like for my remote library server client to somehow ask the server for the low quality cache files, but for local clients to just grab the real files. And I'd like to be able to do it using the same library (ie. not make a separate "Handheld" library for remote viewing).

I guess that what I'm asking for might be more of a MC16 feature request than a simple tweak for MC15.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 06:55:26 am »

Thinking through my request a bit more I see that I'm actually asking for more than I thought. I'd like for my remote library server client to somehow ask the server for the low quality cache files, but for local clients to just grab the real files. And I'd like to be able to do it using the same library (ie. not make a separate "Handheld" library for remote viewing).

I guess that what I'm asking for might be more of a MC16 feature request than a simple tweak for MC15.

There are options for the LS client to specify if it uses local file (if available), if there is to be conversion and also the quality it wants from the server?

Can't you set your remote machine to request files at low bandwidth and your  local mchines to use the local files?

BUT I'm not sure how the cache works in with these settings, and what is deemed Low/medium and high bandwidth.

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up