INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thumbnails - when they are really created  (Read 1476 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Thumbnails - when they are really created
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:17:49 am »

Hello,
I just imported a bunch of video files into my library with the option "Build Thumbnails" upon import enabled. MC spent a lot of time importing and building thumbnails. At least 30 min. Once MC was done with importing and building thumbnails, most of the thumbnails were in fact still not there and MC was continuing building them. Very slowly. Another 30 min at least.
(I imported ~90 video files - 30 min episodes xvid encoded.)
I wouldn't be concerned but when MC is building thumbnails, the process hijacks the system - all windows/applications (including MC) lose focus constantly.

- why thumbnails are not 'completely" built during the import?
- why it's so slow?
- why it hijacks the system?

--max

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
Re: Thumbnails - when they are really created
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 02:35:54 am »

Related story -
Just changed "Artist" tag for all those video files. Now it takes forever for MC to "Save tag changes" and again everything loses focus (it took me a long time to type this). Where avi tags are stored? In MC library, not in avi files, right? Why it takes so long then? And some thumbnails are still missing (about 20% of them).

The files are on a networked drive if it matters. Fast connection (1Gb) - no network activity but high spikes every 20 sec or so (that's when a file gets updated I guess)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:33:38 am »

I had the same experience importing 30 video files (.avi) into MC15 that were located on a network server. No thumbnnails were generated except 2 or 3, so I started the "Build missing thumbnails" function. Once you start, the Windows cursor goes on and on forever, you dont know wether MC15 is hanging or not, so that I stopped the running processes.

After a few attempts I realised that something was going on. So after a few more attempts and about 1 1/2 hours spent with this simple process I succeeded.

It would also be nice to have separate folders for audio and video cover art. If you want to check whether a cover art file is already there, you search forever.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:11:59 pm »

Make sure you have tray icons eg ffdshow, Haali splitter etc. turned off. Check the directshow filters you're using for playback. Thumbnail problems and losing focus is an old problem that has been solved by many by making sure you have the right combo of filters and try icons off. Having said that, latest builds of MC15 and ffdshow seem to play nice together even with tray icons on.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:28:07 pm »

It's always a bit "personal".
Works for one person, doesn't work for another. Works on one system, doesn't work on another.
Clearly related to the filters/codecs.
Divx decoder "icon" used to do this to my system. Now I use ffdshow and don't have any icons in the tray and it's still doing it.
I wish MC would install the "right combo" for me and check for existing conflicts.
I have more than one computer using MC for playback. And every once in a while one of them starts misbehaving. No subs, no dvd playback, no multichannel playback, no dts playback - this is all fixable but frustrating.

I traced the problem I am having right now to files encoded with xvid. Divx encoded files are fine. Xvid files are "hard to deal with" for MC for some reason. It plays them fine but thumbnail creation takes very long and if I hover the mouse pointer over such a file, MC report the length of the movie as "0" (zero). But they do play fine.

Make sure you have tray icons eg ffdshow, Haali splitter etc. turned off. Check the directshow filters you're using for playback. Thumbnail problems and losing focus is an old problem that has been solved by many by making sure you have the right combo of filters and try icons off. Having said that, latest builds of MC15 and ffdshow seem to play nice together even with tray icons on.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 01:05:23 am »

OK. I fixed it. Sort of.

Problems started after I installed the new 10-10-10 release of CCCP. Some video files stopped playing. Uninstalled 10-10-10 and reinstalled 09-09-09. The "stopped" files started to play again but I got this slow handling of xvid files by MC15.

Anyway, I restored a system backup (2 weeks back) and everything is smooth and fast again (as it was 2 weeks ago : ). Thumbnails are built fast and no missing thumbs. Tags are saved very fast as well.

Clearly, that was some sort of codec/filter conflict. I hate this kind of problems. Really hard to troubleshot and fix.

--max

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 09:49:32 am »

Also, at least in the past, it was impossible to take a screenshot with Haali renderer as the video renderer. Perhaps the new version of CCCP was activating this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up