INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to configure Media Center 15 for hi Rez Audiio - 24 bit/ 96 and 192K  (Read 2641 times)

Ataylor

• Recent member

I have just setup a new Music Server with Media Center 15.  I have ripped everything WAV Lossless from my CD collection(16 bit/ 44K) but I am also downloading HD Music of 24 bit / 96K sampling.

I'm using a new Ayre QB9 USB Dac connected to my PC (High end HP Desktop with 64 bit Windows 7, 12 gigs ram, dual 1.5 TB drives).

I am looking for advice on how to setup the output selections in JRiver (and Windows 7 if necessary) so that I'm getting the best output possible. 

Also looking for confirmation that Media Center does not have to be reset when going back and forth from 16 bit CD's to the higher resolution 24 bit music files.

Thanks!!!

Arleigh

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vincent Kars

Re: How to configure Media Center 15 for hi Rez Audiio - 24 bit/ 96 and 192K
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 03:37:38 am »

I am looking for advice on how to setup the output selections in JRiver (and Windows 7 if necessary) so that I'm getting the best output possible. 
As you are running Win7, WASAPI is probably your best bet.
When using WASAPI all your audio will be played at its native resolution.
As WASAPI talks straight to the QB9, you don't have to worry about Win audio settings as the audio engine is bypassed completely.
All you have to do is tell MC to open the QB9 for exclusive access and set the bit depth to 24.
A couple of screen shots at the bottom of this page: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC_Wasapi.htm

Ataylor

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 02:42:10 pm »

Thanks Vincent..what's weird is I can't get WASAPO or ASIO to work. I followed the instructions and J River just gives me an error that it can't play the files.

However when I select Bitstream everything seems to work fine and the DAC auto switches from 44 to 96 depending on whether I play a 16 bit or 24 bit file.

I'm using the standard Audio driver that comes in Win 7.  It renamed itself Ayre DAC but when I looked at the source it's just the standard driver that came with Windows 7. 

Wonder if I should look to update my driver but not sure where to find this.

Thanks!

Vincent Kars

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »

I must amid I never heard of Bitstream, never seen it in MC or in Win.
Some third party audio driver?

Ataylor

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 11:13:31 pm »

My apologies.  I meant Kernel streaming. It's an option in MC 15.  Once I selected this it not only worked but the Ayre now recognizes and adjust for both 44 or 96 rez files.  sounds pretty good too.

I spoke with Ayre and my Dac is an updated QB9 that should handle 192 but it has a firmware issue.

the USB Class 2 driver doesn't recongize the unit and they intended that it should. so they are working on it.  It's possible I'll have to send it back to get a firmware update but in the meantime I'm enjoying it with what I have. Just weird that it won't work with WASAPI unless that's related to the lack of USB Class 2 integration.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 04:11:57 am »

Funny because Kernel streaming is exactly what is not working on most PCs having integrated HD audio on the motherboard.
This might be the reason too why USB Audio class 2 is not working.
Anyway, Kernel is doing pretty much the same as WASAPI, bypassing the Win audio engine so everything is played at its native sample rate.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:02:00 am »

Wonder if I should look to update my driver but not sure where to find this.

Thanks!

Probably not. Antelope also enabled native 192 support with the Zodiac+.

In Playback settings you do have to set 24bit unless you are using ASIO, and those settings are bypassed as it will deliver to the device in its driver's bitdepth.

In WASAPI options you have probably tried to toggle "deliver in 32bit package"? Vincent probably shows that on his site.

Have you set your DSP to resample to one particular sample rate, or just deliver native sample rates?

Russ Reed

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 11:08:14 am »

This should answer all your questions. I have an Ayre Qb-9 as well and also Windows OS. With both configured properly as in this article you will be very happy. Good listening Russ

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Windows-7-Audio-JRiver-Media-Center-14-Configuration

Ataylor

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 04:22:49 pm »

Thanks Russ I've printed it out and will give it a shot.  With the standard windows driver and MC set as Kernal Streaming the Ayre is reading and adjusting to either 44K or 96K just fine.  I've got the latest QB9 which is $250 more and supposed to handle up to 192K now but they are having a firmware issue so I might have to send it back when they figure it out.

Not sure why ASIP or WASAPI won't work for me but I'll give these insturctions a shot.

Russ Reed

• Recent member

Ataylor, How did this work out for you? Also Let me know about the firmware problem, I am considering the upgrade. I have been very happy with my Ayre DAC. I just can't imagine anything sounding better in my system. Russ

Ataylor

• Recent member

Hi Russ,

Sorry for the delay.  Had some major surgery but have come through it well and on the mend.  I was able to get my new Ayre working just fine and also got ASIP and WASAPI to work too. Not sure how but after an extended break in it really started to sound good.  I've been told by Ayre that they are just about done with the Firmware upgrade.

I'll probably send it back in a week or two and when I do I'll let you know if I can hear any differences with 192K vs 96.
Pages: [1]   Go Up