INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File Deletion From Theater View  (Read 1414 times)

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
File Deletion From Theater View
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:41:51 am »

I have a few requests for file deletion from Theater View:

1) I can't see wanting to delete anything other than TV programs from Theater View.  So, I would prefer to remove the Delete action for everything but TV programs to prevent inadvertent file deletions.

2) I would also prefer the default selection in the delete confirmation to be "No" to guard against double buttons presses or someone not reading carefully, etc.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

rick.ca

Re: File Deletion From Theater View
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:58:08 pm »

I download, watch and delete a lot of things, all of which is tagged as [Media type]=[Video] by default (i.e., not [TV]). So I would be unhappy with such a change. I'm already unhappy about the number of key presses it takes to delete something—10! Is there some other way to delete I'm unaware of? I can't imagine how this method (navigating to "Delete" on the roller) could be done accidentally.

Perhaps a better solution would be a "deletion protection" tag that would serve to lock a file so it could not be deleted by any means within MC. That way, you could protect files not only from inadvertent deletion, but from deletion from those who may not understand the file should not be deleted.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 06:29:21 pm »

I can't imagine how this method (navigating to "Delete" on the roller) could be done accidentally.

Perhaps a better solution would be a "deletion protection" tag that would serve to lock a file so it could not be deleted by any means within MC. That way, you could protect files not only from inadvertent deletion, but from deletion from those who may not understand the file should not be deleted.

Anything is possible with kids and a remote control :).

I would rather avoid the possibility of an accident with a priceless photo or home video.  I still would like to be able to delete from Standard View so some kind of control for deletion perhaps by media type/subtype in Theater View would be ideal.  I see now that the default selection for deleting non-TV media is "Cancel" which offers some protection.  I would still prefer that the default selection was "No" for TV.  By the way, for TV program deletion it is 4 button presses which I think is reasonable to perform an irreversible action.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:13:37 pm »

Anything is possible with kids and a remote control.

I figured kids might be involved. That's why I suggested something more secure. Whether it's 4 or 10, what's a warning but another key press? Maybe an audible warning—like you shouting, "Stop, don't do that." Because, of course, they always listen to you. ;D

I think a lock would be more effective, and more universal in it's application—perhaps saving some of us adults from ourselves. And a tag is easy enough to remove if deletion is required. It could also be an expression field, so as to automatically protect files meeting any particular criteria (e.g., BD rips, personal photo albums, TV programs recorded or downloaded in the past week, etc.). 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up