INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music has regular hiccups when playing on my laptop  (Read 1377 times)

bdh

• Recent member
Music has regular hiccups when playing on my laptop
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:15:24 pm »

On my two desktops, I have no problems, but on my duel-core i5 laptop, the music regularly has slight pauses or hiccups.  I see the hard drive being accessed every 6 seconds or so.  (I've tried killing many processes I didn't think I needed and turned off several services, but couldn't stop the hard drive access.  I need to reinstall Windows to get rid of all the usesless crap Dell pre-installs on the machine.)

The hiccups seem to correspond to the hard drive accesses.  I have 'Play file from memory instead of disk' checked.  Shouldn't this prevent these sort of hiccups?  Could the HD access interrupt the USB output?  Why doesn't it on my desktops?  I'm thinking of getting a SSD drive as this is driving me crazy.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Music has regular hiccups when playing on my laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 12:26:53 pm »

In my signature, you will find a link called "Weird Problems".  It has several pages of issues that turned out to be connected with other hardware or software.  Several sound problems are there.

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 01:14:17 pm »

Dell does have a bad reputation with audio.
Disabling all enhancements might help
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Trouble/Dell.htm

Try DPC latency checker or the Win Resource Monitor to isolate the process causing the dropouts.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Trouble/DropOut.htm

nedam

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:27:51 am »

I used an air-horn to solve that problem with my laptop. The only downside is it did scare my dog as well.  You might put your dog out and warn your kids before you attempted the air-horn scare tactic.

Come on you knew someone was going to say it.

Nedam

bdh

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:24:57 am »

The problem wasn't MS Security Essentials, but ASIO4ALL.  I just disabled the unused devices in there and the problem went away.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up