INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyway to make tagging have tick boxes, instead of having to hit enter?  (Read 1858 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

ive noticed on the new tag windows, when i click on keywords, artists (any tag where they maybe multiple entries. i have to always hit enter after selecting one, is it possible to make them tick boxes so we dont have to hit enter after each selection..

Myself personally i have many artist that belong in multiple keywords(i use keywords for genres) wel when i choose rock, i have to hit enter, then i have to hit drop down again then choose classic rock, then choose party mix etc.. it would much faster if we could just hit keywords then tick the ones we want.

Thanks for listening.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: anyway to make tagging have tick boxes, instead of having to hit enter?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:06:08 pm »

Just to be clear, I'm not commenting on whether J River should or should not implement your request (I don't want to start a war like the other threads)...

But, just to try to help you out now... You could accomplish basically the same exact thing using Pane Tagging.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 01:19:17 pm »

But, just to try to help you out now... You could accomplish basically the same exact thing using Pane Tagging.

I had not heard of pane tagging until your comment in the other thread recently. I tried it but found it cumbersome because to assign multiple values to a tag you have to drill way into the tree which takes more clicks and more complicated mouse movements than I am willing to do on a regular basis. Perhaps I am using it wrong. How would you assign say 5 list items to the same tag using pane tagging? - sorry thought you were referring to using the tree for tagging

Pane tagging does not work well for me because I typically navigate via Drives & Devices to the folder containing my new files where I then manually import and tag them.  AFAIK you cannot have panes in a Drives & Devices view.

I too am hoping that tick boxes are reinstated because it results in a minimal 2*n actions for n items rather than the current 3*n actions.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:41:01 pm »

how does one do pane tagging whil ein playing now? that would work but i do ALOT of tagging from playing now. because honestly i have alot of music i dont know if i like or not, so when i listen to it and like it then i will 5 star it, or add more genres then just one (via keywords)

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 06:48:51 pm »

Pane tagging can only be done in Pane views. Devices and Drives and Playing Now are List views. But rjm could use a Panes view with a "File path" category, and xtacbyme could use one with an expression category that uses IsPlayingNow().

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:57:01 pm »

how do i accomplish this rick?

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »

First, create a custom field named IsInPlayingNow. Select "Data type" Integer, and then OK twice to record this. Open the same field again and select "Calculated data." Enter the expression IsInPlayingNow(). Again, OK twice to record the change.

Then create a Pane view and "import" the Rule for file display [IsInPlayingNow]=[1]. Add what ever categories you want for selecting items (e.g., Artist, Album) and for tagging (e.g., Genres, Rating). This will give you a Panes "Playing Now" view in which you may pane tag or use any of the features available to Pane views.

rjm

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:31:01 pm »

Pane tagging can only be done in Pane views. Devices and Drives and Playing Now are List views. But rjm could use a Panes view with a "File path" category, and xtacbyme could use one with an expression category that uses IsPlayingNow().

Thanks. I tried your tip. It would work well if I always tagged from the same directory however my media is stored on 6 drives and I edit tags from multiple folders on each. I don't think this idea will work for me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:53:23 pm »

Thanks. I tried your tip. It would work well if I always tagged from the same directory however my media is stored on 6 drives and I edit tags from multiple folders on each. I don't think this idea will work for me.

Why not?

I use this exact thing and I have media on multiple drives.  When you add the "location" File Path to your view, don't put ANYTHING in the File Path box.  That'll give you a "tree" in the pane that shows all locations and all drives (even UNC paths).

It is much better than using the Drives & Devices item in the tree, because it allows you to sub-filter the list using other panes.

My "Disk Location" scheme looks like this:

Click to enlarge.

It doesn't have any list-type fields in it, but you could certainly add some.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 02:02:16 am »

I use this exact thing and I have media on multiple drives.  When you add the "location" File Path to your view, don't put ANYTHING in the File Path box.  That'll give you a "tree" in the pane that shows all locations and all drives (even UNC paths).

Thanks for the tip. This might work. I needed to put the file path in the right most pane and turned off filter in both directions. Otherwise when I select my directory all panes are cleared since the files have not yet been tagged.

Will need to try this for a while to be sure. Got a feeling that I may go back to the old Drives & Devices method because my library is large and this complicated view (with all the panes I need to tag) is a little sluggish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up