INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashing, not  (Read 806 times)

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
Crashing, not
« on: June 17, 2002, 03:43:42 pm »

I posted a short time ago about MJ's lack of stability, freezing when handling lots of files...  I was wrong, kinda.

This is what I'd see...  The MJ8 window becomes solid white and empty.  The window bar at top becomes generic XP blue w/ the standard red X.  The small icon in the upper left corner becomes a picture of a small blank white window.  And the window title becomes "Media Jukebox [not responding]".  From all this, I made the assumption that MJ had crashed.  Bad assumption.  All this really meant was that MJ8 was thinking hard about the tasks at hand and that it was just ignoring me to devote its attention to it.

Often (but not always) MJ8 comes back to life, given enough time.  And sometimes (not always), the tasks (such as changing file properties, en mass, or moving many files) would be completed.  

Has anyone else had this experience?  Again, since there are many who have larger libraries, I wonder why me...

Chris H.

RE:Crashing, not
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 04:15:32 pm »

I had a simular problem, except my MJ8 window was mostly blacked out.  I fixed this buy installing as a regular XP user, not with 'Run As...' Administrator.
However, I still experience crashes sometimes.  MJ8 won't directly convert a CD song to an MP3; at least not with Windows XP.  I must record it as a wave first.  And after putting in a sound driver upgrade, MJ8/Win XP blue screened with a page fault error, and then wouldn't open on the next attempt to run MJ8.  I seemed to have fixed this by reinstalling MJ8.  And I think Media Editor freezes sometimes.
I keep hoping JRiver will acheive perfection Next Page

Chris H.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2002, 04:22:01 pm »

After thinking about your post a while Sam, I wonder about how much RAM you have.  256 megs on a Windows XP system is the least you should have, and more is much better.  You might also want to adjust the virtual memory used on your hard drive.  Open the Help & Support Center, type 'virtual memory' in the Search to read how to make VM bigger.
It definately sounds like you have a memory bottleneck somewhere.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2002, 06:43:20 pm »

Thanks Chris.  I think my RAM is okay.  It's a pretty new Dell with 512MB.
I'll look into the virtual memory issue.  I know that I have quite a few programs running in the background...  I'll try to clean up my PC and see how it goes.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up