INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Repost: MJ controls in Windows taskbar  (Read 701 times)

Swordsman74

Repost: MJ controls in Windows taskbar
« on: June 17, 2002, 10:53:22 am »

Hi all,
This is a repost due to image hosting problems.  I have it now stored at Webshots.  I hope this works...

Here's a screenshot of my desktop showing the MJ "toolbar" I jury-rigged to display in my Windows taskbar...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/41002112/41003119uFPORF

What you're seeing in my taskbar is an MJ Track Info page I created which is being shown using a javascript window command instead of a regular taskbar location. The javscript is pointing directly to the "generated" track info page in the MJ directory, to which I had to add a meta tag to make it refresh every few seconds. This is pretty close to exactly what I want - but not quite.
In order for this track info page to function correctly, I have to have a mini-skin running with at least one pixel of the visualization showing. This is for two reasons: first, to handle the commands (play, stop, next, etc). Second, to allow my track info page to refresh. You guys did a great job in programming MJ to not waste resources updating something that isn't being shown on the screen!! Unfortunately, it conflicts with my warped ideas of how to display MJ. If I don't have at minimum one pixel of the track info page displayed in the mini-skin view, that page in my taskbar won't refresh.
Here are my questions for you all:

1. Could anyone put together an "official" windows toolbar that can do what I'm doing here - but through Windows code instead of a patched-together javascript and HTML mess? I do web development, not C.
2. If not, can MJ commands be made available to use through HTML/JS calls? Then, I could control MJ play/stop/next/etc through the track info page.  This would only be good if there is a way around the code that keeps the track info page from refreshing without a mini-skin visible. If I have to keep a mini-skin up anyway, then the HTML buttons would be redundant.

Any thoughts or ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long read!
Thanks!
Matt L.

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
RE:Repost: MJ controls in Windows taskbar
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 01:29:10 pm »

Hi Swordsman

I really like your background.. got a link?

I don't really see the point of going to all this trouble. Why don't you make a trackinfo that works for mini-me skins instead of this? I use the the LowerLeft skin, and I normally keep it "On top" with the slide show plugin running and it is pretty cool. It just sits there in a corner providing entertainement and if I need space I click on V and get rif of the visualization window..

I know I know ..I'm not being very helpful... if you like your "warped" scheme (your words not mine ) then go for it. I'm not sure about 1] but for 2] you should be able to use Java to create a plugin with the current automation interface. You may have better luck asking in the development forum

Claudio

Swordsman74

RE:Repost: MJ controls in Windows taskbar
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2002, 02:00:30 pm »

Hi Claudio,
 I get all my backgrounds from Webshots... here's the link to this one.  You have to be part of Webshots to get it, though.
http://www.webshots.com/g/33/613-sh/23959.html
 As for the trackinfo on a mini-skin...that's what I started with.  I guess I'm just obsessed with seeing the trackinfo ALL the time...  I used the Lower Left skin and had it on the left side of the screen below my docked Trillian.  That left me a bit cramped for space for everything else on top (buttons, taskbar, etc).  I decided to try the taskbar on the left instead, but that's where I run out of room for the trackinfo page...I can't have both the taskbar and trackinfo page displayed on the screen at the same time - except for this "warped" way!  Thanks for the idea about the developer forum - I didn't even think about asking there...
 Thanks!
    Matt L
Pages: [1]   Go Up