INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capturing video from Hauppauge HD PVR  (Read 13383 times)

dcwebman

• Citizen of the Universe
Capturing video from Hauppauge HD PVR
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:49:42 am »

I have one of these and no interest in using it with a TV tuner, but just want to capture video from my DVR and VCR so I can make DVDs. The ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme that comes with it to capture video doesn't work as when I bring up the capture module, it dies every time giving the faulty DLL as msvcrt.dll. This happens on both my XP and Win7 64 bit computers. I have worked with ArcSoft and Hauppauage trying different versions of drivers and TME (even the new version 2) with the same problem. I even RMA'ed the HD PVR and that wasn't the problem.

I'm giving up any hope that they can actually fix this and I'm surprised nobody else is having problems since it's occurring on different OS's, had 2 different HD PVR's. As a test, I tried the trial of SageTV and that actually recognized the video feed, so it has to be the ArcSoft software.

All I want to do is capture video with it as I'll be using other software to edit the video. Does anybody know of any other software that will capture video from this device, and especially not cost me a lot more money (SageTV is $80)? I'm about ready to Ebay this thing.
Jeff

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Capturing video from Hauppauge HD PVR
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:21:28 pm »

I use the device to capture video from a cable box just fine.  You can use either Composite or SVideo depending on the video source.  It works for me either with ArcSoft software or Media Center.

The systems I have tried the device on are XP and W7 (64bit).

Have you tried it in Media Center?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dcwebman

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 06:40:20 am »

Have you tried it in Media Center?
I assume you mean your Media Center even though Hauppauge says it works with MS's Media Center. I haven't used MC with a TV Tuner before so I guess I didn't think it would capture. Let me search for some wiki info on setting it up and I'll try it tonight.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:36:49 pm »

Yaobing, I got the same error in this post where it couldn't initialize the tuner: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52038.msg356090#msg356090
I hate to ask, but how do I register ArcDemux.ax?
Jeff

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 07:30:27 pm »

Yaobing, I got the same error in this post where it couldn't initialize the tuner: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52038.msg356090#msg356090
I hate to ask, but how do I register ArcDemux.ax?

Start > All Programs > Accessories > right-click "Command Prompt" and choose "Run as Administrator"

A command window opens.  Type the following at the prompt

regsvr32 "C:\[path of filter file]\filterFileName.ax"

and press enter.

dcwebman

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 08:48:32 pm »

OK, file registered and then tried to follow wiki for Television. The mc2xml link on http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/EPG doesn't work. I did find a version on http://mc2xml.yourfreehosting.net/?h=9jqd6wi

mc2xml setup wanted microsoft legacy and -U: UTF8 selected. I selected DirecTV the first time but tried AT&T Uverse other times.

Finished setting up by just selecting any channel for the all 3 inputs but I only have component cables hooked up. Upon clicking Watch for channel YRYBY, I got the dialog box "Media Center encountered errors while trying to play the last several files. Please make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location."

I went to Playing Now and deleted the non-YRYBY entries. Same error when trying to play. Filename trying to play was "TV Channel Input Source 1 - Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device (AuxIn).tvlb". I tried resetting the mc2xml file multiple times.

If I click TV Options and Show Status, I get:
"Device 0: Hauppauge HD PVR Capture Device (analog)
State: Idle"

What's the next thing I should try?
Jeff

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:20:34 am »

What's the next thing I should try?

Email me a log file.  See the first thread on this board for instructions.

Since ArcSoft TotalMedia Extreme did not work, the likely explanation is either your computer is somewhat messed up, or the device is defective.  Since you tried it on two systems, and you replaced the device, I am really at a loss.  Maybe something prevents proper installation of the driver, or the filters.  Did you try registering the filters "ArcSoft Audio renderer" and "ArcSoft Audio Renderer HD?"

dcwebman

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 01:27:47 pm »

Log file and info ready to send.

SageTV does work but I don't know if they require the ArcSoft drivers or not. I tried to find ASAudio.ax and ASAudioHD.ax to register them but could only find ASAudio.ax. I did also find ASVideo.ax since that was mentioned in the other topic. Upon trying to register either one of those though, I get:
"The module "asaudio.ax" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x800700005."

Thanks for the help.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 04:33:51 am »

I installed version 145 of MC and suddenly was able to watch the video feed coming into the HD PVR. Now if I could figure out how to actually record, I'd be done.

All I want is a simple Record Now button but it doesn't seem to work that way. I did the install of mc2xml and I'm not sure what channels are supposed to be used in the guide so I can set a recording. I selected the channel DVR Playback Channel and it shows up with times of 2:00am, 5:00am, 8:00am, 11:00am, 2:00pm, 5:00pm, 8:00pm. But if I select to Record only this program, nothing starts recording. The "Enable Recording" option in Settings is turned on.

Any advice on how I can actually start a recording immediately would be appreciated.
Jeff

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 05:38:13 pm »

This device does not work well in MC with regard to EPG because it is not a tuner and thus does not have tuner channels associated with it.

You can set up recording by time - specify the channel and the start and stop time for recording.  Then you will need to remember to set the source to the correct channel.

You can do "instant recording", by start watching, and then right-click > TV Recording and choose one of the recording options from the menu.

dcwebman

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 05:43:51 am »

Yaobing, we're almost there. The right-click > TV Recording will work fine. (It would be nice if there was an option under the to just Record until I hit cancel though, much like a VCR record button).

However I can't get it to record TS format. Even though the option is set, it always wants to record jtv. Closing/opening MC doesn't affect it. Any suggestions on that?
Jeff

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 08:24:36 am »

Yaobing, we're almost there. The right-click > TV Recording will work fine. (It would be nice if there was an option under the to just Record until I hit cancel though, much like a VCR record button).

I agree, it would be nice.  Until that is available, you can select the longest time available when start recording, and come back to the same TV Recording menu and choose "Cancel current recording" any time.

However I can't get it to record TS format. Even though the option is set, it always wants to record jtv. Closing/opening MC doesn't affect it. Any suggestions on that?

Sorry, ts format is only available for digital TV tuners.  Analog devices come in various formats and have to be dealt with individually.  That is why we have not done it for analog devices.

dcwebman

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 08:30:29 am »

Sorry, ts format is only available for digital TV tuners.  Analog devices come in various formats and have to be dealt with individually.  That is why we have not done it for analog devices.
Awww, I finally get something to work with the HD PVR and then learn this. I require editing since I'm going to be transferring things like home movie videotapes so I guess I'm off to find the next solution that might work. Thanks for the effort in getting it going though!
Jeff

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 08:43:06 pm »

Will the "Tools --> Advance Tools --> Convert Format --> Package to MKV" work with these files?
Thanks
nathan

Note: dcwebman if you want to try you need to select the JTV file from the Video section not from the Drives & Devices --> Television section
JRiver CEO Elect

dcwebman

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 06:02:24 pm »

It failed trying to convert.
Jeff

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 02:40:57 pm »

Awww, I finally get something to work with the HD PVR and then learn this. I require editing since I'm going to be transferring things like home movie videotapes so I guess I'm off to find the next solution that might work. Thanks for the effort in getting it going though!

I just thought I'd mention that my HD-PVR has been working GREAT with SageTV 7, and does record using TS files.  Sage treats it like a full-fledged tuner, and can use the integrated IR blaster, which was a breeze to set up with my cable box.

I'm very pleased.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dcwebman

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 06:45:50 am »

Thanks Glynor. The trial of Sage worked fine too from what I tried briefly. I guess I need to decide whether to pony up some more money for this device or just call it quits.
Jeff

dcwebman

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 05:47:05 pm »

Glynor, I'm not sure if you've seen my description of the problem I have with the HD PVR but it's basically the Arcsoft TotalMedia Extreme's Record Video just crashes upon opening. This happens on my XP and Win7 computers.

I just tried it on a fairly freshly installed Vista computer and it worked fine. The only conclusion I can come up with is there is some conflicting software between the two computers and now it's time to figure it out. I'm guessing something that has to do with audio or video.

First, does Record Video work on your computer? If so, I'm assuming MC is installed on it? I'd like to rule that out and then I can concentrate on other possible software.
Jeff

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 06:17:28 pm »

Initially you had trouble playing video in any software, right?  Then you got it working in MC by reinstalling drivers?  I was going to ask you then, but forgot, whether it would work in ArcSoft Total Media Extreme.  You are saying it still does not work?

I am running it on Windows 7 64 bit.  Total Media Extreme works fine.  I can go to Record Video, and then click "Start Capture" button.  No crashes.  Media Center is present on this machine (it's my work machine).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 08:03:52 pm »

First, does Record Video work on your computer? If so, I'm assuming MC is installed on it? I'd like to rule that out and then I can concentrate on other possible software.

I don't have the Arcsoft dreck installed.  Sorry!   :-\  The only thing I installed that came with the HD-PVR was the software drivers I needed to get it set up.

I've never even tried using my HD-PVR with MC.  If you mean something else, then let me know.

PS.  If you decide to bag it, I might be in the market for a second one....  ;) ;D

"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dcwebman

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 08:27:56 pm »

I FINALLY figured out why TME is dying. I uninstalled the program MuvAudio 3 from http://www.muvenum.com and Record Video came up fine. Unfortunately I use MuvAudio much more than I plan on using Record Video. I have emails off to both companies for a solution where both can coincide.
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up