INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: category dependent thumbnails. MC is almost there!  (Read 1182 times)

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
category dependent thumbnails. MC is almost there!
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:12:13 pm »

Problem
As I use MC more with individually downloaded songs, I find album thumnails less and less useful. Album thumbnail stacks are not always very helpful for navigation, especially since the top thumbnails rotate.

Here is my proposal to improve the thumbnail idea.

Goal:
For each category thumbnail, I want MC to show a picture related to that category, instead of showing a stack of album covers in that category.  For example in "album artist" category it could show a picture of "Queen", in  "composer" view could show the picture of "Mozart", and in "Album" it view show the usual album cover.

Why is MC so close to this
Ok, a recent advancement in MC15 made this much easier to implement. each level in category view allow now customization of the properties like the thumbnail text. My proposal is to add a new item to that menu, say "Thumbnail path", which will point to picture paths based on the category. For example in Artist view, the path could be "/images/artists/[Artist].jpg", etc. If there is no picture in the specified path, MC would still show the default stack of album folders. In future, MC could add automated facilities to fetch category images from internet, which would make the feature useful for the mainstream users.

Alternative Proposal easier to implement
1. For a class thumbnail, MC would show only the thumbnail of the top record and won't rotate. I believe it already does this for webremote at some point  (didn't check recently). This may be a desirable option  for people who don't want the thumbnails to rotate anyway. (i find it cognitively somewhat disrupting).  
2. I would write a clever sorting scheme so that a record with the category picture will always go to the top of the list. I already have an idea how to do that but this part is difficult to generalize for mainstream useage.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: category dependent thumbnails. MC is almost there!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 05:46:17 pm »

+1 for this request.

Another application (if I understand the request correctly) is to show an image relating to the genre at that level, so the image path could be /images/genre/[Genre].jpg.  One of my "unique" categories after drilling down by Artist is Studio Album/7" Single/12" Single/CD Single/Live Album/Compilation - so it would be nice to be able to specify an image for each of those.  If no path is specified for the level, then MC should default to whatever algorithm it uses for generating album art based on the files in that level.

I also have a top level category for splitting out various types of music, e.g.

Artists (omitting Various Artist Compilations, Theme Park Music, and Soundtracks)
Genres (only a selected range)
Various Artist Compilations
Soundtracks
Theme Park Music

with each one including files based on "Rules for file display", so again it would be nice to have my own icon to represent each one.

Oh...and if this is implemented for the standard library views, please also implement in the DLNA views too!  See "Request: Unification of the views" (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60189.0).

Tolga

• Galactic Citizen
Re: category dependent thumbnails. MC is almost there!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 12:28:05 pm »

csimon,

thanks for supporting the proposal. Yes, the proposal allows customization for any user defined fields. Overtime, MC could provide automated ways for fetching images for some standard categories. I have ideas on how to do that too, but a step at a time. Let's first see if the basic functionality creates any traction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up