INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move and Rename Cover Art Files  (Read 2542 times)

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
Move and Rename Cover Art Files
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:59:14 am »

Searched the forum -- but can't find the solution.

I'm coming from a player program that required cover art image files -- to be named identically to the folder that contained that album's audio files.
So, the audio files were stored in an album folder called:  "Beatles - Help"
And, the cover art image file needed to be named:  "Beatles - Help.jpg"

Moreover, all of the cover art image files needed to be stored together in their own "Cover Art" folder -- separate from the actual audio file folders.
So I had a separate folder called "Cover Art" -- and it contained all of the image files for my entire music collection.

Unfortunately, I now need to move each cover art image file -- to the folder that actually contains that album's audio files.
And, I need to rename those image files to "folder.jpg"

I've got over 2,000 albums and I'm wondering if Media Center can, at least, "batch move" the cover art files -- to the audio file folders that share the same name.
And, less important but very nice -- would be the additional function of renaming that cover art file names -- from "Beatles - Help.jpg" -- to "folder.jpg.
...Although, I have another program that can probably do that.

Can Media Center -- or anything else -- perform one or both of these batch operations?

Thanks very much in advance.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Move and Rename Cover Art Files
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:26:36 am »

As Cover Art Files are nothing else than image files you simply import all cover art files into MC.
Then you can use the internal MC tools to copy / move / rename the files any way you want.

Also have a look at the possible options for cover art naming conventions in Extra > Options

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 12:51:18 pm »

Thanks for your reply.

Just to confirm my understanding of your post:

Are you saying that using MC -- I can import 2,000 cover art jpg files, that:

1.  Currently reside in their own cover art folder

2.  And whose naming convention currently matches the folder name used for the audio files, for example:
    Audio File Folder =  "Beatles - Help"
    Cover Art File = "Beatles - Help.jpg"

And I can use MC to move all 2,000 cover art jpg files -- to the individual folders that contain the audio files ...?
And that I can use MC to rename all 2,000 cover art files to "folder.jpg" ...?
And that I can perform this task in a batch operation -- so each album does not have to be done individually?

Thanks

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:06:20 pm »

Yes,

Just observe the Golden Rule of J River: Always try with a few files first. And do not forget. If you make errors, you can always go back.

So you import all your files, then you select just a few of them, right click, go to Library Tools and select "Rename, Move, Copy Files". This is a very powerful tool and you better study first the manual. Once you are satisfied with the result, you can select all your files in one go and make the appropriate operations.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 02:12:41 pm »

If your cover art files are named [Artist] - [Album].jpg, you can use Get properties from filename to fill the [Artist] and [Album] tags for those files. Then use Rename, move & copy files to rename them {base path}\[Artist] - [Album]\folder.jpg. If you like, you can use the same technique to change the folder structure to \[Artist]\[Album].

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 02:32:31 pm »

blafarm,

Do the audio files show cover art now? (I.e. have you set MC to use the folder as a cover art folder and did MC find the correct cover art files?)

If yes, you can simply use the "Cover Art > Save Cover Art To External Location Specified In Options" tool. (Just change the location option to Folder.jpg first)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 03:23:09 pm »

Thank you everyone -- for your responses.

My problem has transformed into something that has nothing to do with the original thread title that I used.

Consequently, I've decided to create a new thread that is more appropriately titled.

Here it is:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=19.0

Thanks again for your help.

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 01:37:23 pm »

As Cover Art Files are nothing else than image files you simply import all cover art files into MC.
Then you can use the internal MC tools to copy / move / rename the files any way you want.

Also have a look at the possible options for cover art naming conventions in Extra > Options

I can't seem to locate the Extra in the options. I would  appreciate a hand here, I would love to customize the Cover art naming convention.

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 04:06:15 pm »

For a Categories View (with List Style=Thumbnails), select Thumbnails>Thumbnail text from the header drop-down menu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up