INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote library connection not saving custom field  (Read 1747 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Remote library connection not saving custom field
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:11:37 pm »

I have a "Ben's Rating" field where I store 1-5 stars to rate songs...a custom field for my own ratings.  I am connected to a server MC box through library server.  Even though I change the field on the client and then restart MC, the field does not get saved and pulled up again.  I thought syncing changes was now support?  What am I missing?

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Remote library connection not saving custom field
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 02:26:00 pm »

You must also enable authentication on the server under Options > Media Network > Library Server > Advanced.

benn600

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:59:06 pm »

I just enabled authentication and had to enter user/pass when I launched client.  I changed a Ben's Rating value on two songs yet it still didn't save when I restarted MC.  Any other settings?

Just tried WebRemote and am really liking what I see!  It's so great to see continuous improvement so rapidly.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:08:32 pm »

I just got the latest version.  It is embarrassing how many versions back I was.  I then tried it again, same issue.  Then I made a change and selected sync with server from file menu.  It got saved this time.

How do I enable the automatic, silent synchronization?  And does this push and pull changes?  If the server adds data will it get pushed to clients?

Finally, what about seeing zones on other connected systems?  My goal would be to have a central server that all clients connect to and then from client A, I could say PLAY THIS on client B.  Then I could remotely play content anywhere!  Server connections are getting a lot better!  Nice work JRiver!

benn600

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 02:05:41 am »

I just completely reconfigured a new MC database from the ground up.  All new views, theater views, perfect configuration, all new imports and full thumbnail building.  Authentication is enabled.

As a test, I opened a playlist (created on the server) and did the following:
1. Added a new song to the playlist.
2. Removed a column from the display.
3. Resized a column.

With a manual sync to server, the new song got added but none of the view changes (playlist).  Are view changes not synced at all?

Also, I see the options on the client still have old values.  Are these just kept over from the latest local MC database opened?  I would prefer they are greyed out and disabled or they get synced from the server.  If greyed out, then the server could potentially accept new ripped content?  Still trying to grasp what is possible and what is not.

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 04:23:20 am »

After reading your post yesterday I checked myself and tested some user defined fields, especially list-fields. At first I had the feeling you were right, but then I realized it worked. Synching does not seem to always happen right away. If you make a change either on the client or the server and check the other side right away, the change may not appear immediately.

In the Beta forum Matt described the items that will be synched.

The following are synced:
File value changes
File deletes
File adds (server adds always go to clients, client adds go to server if the server can reach the file)
Playlist additions
Playlist changes (including columns, sorting, etc.)
Television recording schedule

Views are not synched.

I have all my media files on a network share and use the \\server\share notation. I might also transfer the thumbnail and cover art directories to a network share as right now, thumbnails are build in each of the users App Data directory on the server which is quite redundant. Otherwise, so far as I have tested, the new changes are quite impressive.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:37:34 am »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

benn600

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:11:18 pm »

Thanks for the detail!  These updates are allowing me to rethink the entire media infrastructure I have set up.  Allowing local files is outstanding because I have a server with data in two separate locations that both can play files locally (over LAN) but just the main DB is stored over the internet.  It will take me a few days to fully understand the implications but I am really liking what I've seen!

I think client settings (music, pictures, video locations) still confuse me the most.  If a client rips content, where does it go?  It doesn't make sense to allow clients to store content locally because it would represent independent separations of content.  All content really needs to be stored exactly in one place--where it should go.

Also, I think permissions would be very helpful.
1. Multiple users: I'd like to send out a username for friends/family so they can view SOME of my content: photo albums, etc.  I don't want these to have edit capabilities either.
2. Permissions: allowing some users to only edit fields but not add/delete files.

LOVING that DVDs now calculate their size correctly!  It's been a while since I really have put time into MC and you all are doing great work!

benn600

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 12:15:40 pm »

Is there any way that cover art could be stored locally as well?  When connecting over the internet for the main MC database, there is a delay in downloading the DB, which is fine, but then all content gets loaded from a local LAN resource.  Having to pull cover art thumbnails over the internet is a bit slow too.  If these thumbnails could be saved somewhere, that would help with this.

benn600

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:24:38 pm »

Thumbnails are not getting pulled from the server now with this new set up of everything.  I am connected with no local resources and no thumbnails are appearing for audio, video, or images.  All of them are generated on the server completely.

Never mind!  I was using an older version of MC on the client.
Pages: [1]   Go Up