INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: m4v playback troubles with Real Alternative installed!  (Read 1073 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
m4v playback troubles with Real Alternative installed!
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:18:27 pm »

I converted about 50 dvd movies with Handbrake to m4v (H264) format. The conversion was done on a fast Win7-x64 Ult system, Playback of the new m4v videos worked flawlessly. Once copied to the production system (also Win7-x64 Ult) I realized that some movies worked without problem while with others MC15 crashed right after opening. As the event viewer displayed some error with a raac.dll I suspected some problem with Real Alternative 2.02 installed.

I then realized that the converter system had only MC15 and CCCP installed, while the production system hat MC15, CCCP, Real and Quicktime Alternatives + Bass filters installed.
So I deinstalled Real Alternative and voilą, no more troubles with m4v videos.

Now, I was of the opinion that to have a comprehensive playback of all media types, one needs to install all of the above mentioned programs. Is this still valid? Did anybody else have the same problems? Could it be that the products need to be installed in a certain sequence? I can imagine, no real alternative no real playback!  I don't use the newest CCCP version yet. Thanks for helping!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: m4v playback troubles with Real Alternative installed!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:55:00 pm »

I am not sure if Real Alternative is needed for some file types.  Perhaps it is needed.  Misbehaving third-party filters like this have cause us a lot of grief.  

In your case, it is likely that a filter in Real Alternative is bad, and it was configured to have a very high merit in the DirectShow system.  You could try lowering its merit, using a third-party tool (sorry, I do not remember which program will do the trick).  Or you can simply configure MC to tell it to use a specific set of filters (non-Real-Alternative filters of course!) for file type m4v (if you do not know which filters to use, start by trying FFDShow Audio Decoder and FFDShow Video Decoder).
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 05:32:21 am »

Thanks Yaobing for explaining the merit issue.

Do you mean, I can playback .ra and .rv files without installing Real Alternatives? How would I configure Real playback without Real Alternative?

Setting the ffdshow filters for audio and video for m4v fixed m4v playback.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:58:55 pm »

Do you mean, I can playback .ra and .rv files without installing Real Alternatives? How would I configure Real playback without Real Alternative?

No, actually I said you may need Real Alternative.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up