INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating from MC14 to 15, questions  (Read 1211 times)

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
Migrating from MC14 to 15, questions
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:04:37 am »

I'd like to migrate from MC 14 to 15 on two machines, one running a x86 and one running a x64 OS. Both machines should use the same MC settings though.

As a test I've installed the MC 15 trial on the x86 machine that already had MC 14 installed. The 15 install didn't inherit the 14 settings however, which surprised me. Is there an "official" way to migrate the settings to the new version (other than copying registry keys)? I've tried the "quick and dirty" way by creating a library/settings backup  in 14 and importing it into 15. MC 15 crashed during the import however. After I've restarted 15 the library and settings seem to be in place, but the crash makes me uneasy of course.

Another question is if the "settings import" works properly when importing settings backed up on a x86 system to a x64 system. The ini files in the backup zip containing the settings (Machine Settings.ini, User Settings.ini) are referring to full path names, which should be different on x86 and x64 systems ("C:\Program Files" vs. "C:\Program Files (x86)" for instance). In addition, the "User Settings.ini" are referring to a full user profile path which also will be different on the two systems because I'm using different user names. Is this stuff handled gracefully by MC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Migrating from MC14 to 15, questions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:56:06 am »

The 15 install didn't inherit the 14 settings however, which surprised me. Is there an "official" way to migrate the settings to the new version (other than copying registry keys)? I've tried the "quick and dirty" way by creating a library/settings backup  in 14 and importing it into 15. MC 15 crashed during the import however.
That's an official method.  During the import, you can also choose to import settings from MC14.

It might be nice to try again.  If it is a repeatable crash, we'd like to see a copy of the backup.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 05:27:47 am »

I used an MC14 backup to restore all my settings for MC15, worked fine.

As Jim suggests, try again. You could also create a new library and then back that up, this will still get all your settings which you can restore.

From memory when I restored I restored just the settings to a blank library, and then just opened my main library which I was using in MC14 in MC15.

Be aware that MC15 may change the library a little so use a copy of the library if you are still wanting to use it with MC14.

Richrad

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:45:05 am »

... MC15 may change the library a little so use a copy of the library if you are still wanting to use it with MC14.

I would not try to use the same library files with both versions.  The database files should be in a different place for both.
Pages: [1]   Go Up