INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musical Fidelity V-Dac settings  (Read 12175 times)

Everett

Musical Fidelity V-Dac settings
« on: November 03, 2010, 06:20:47 pm »

Hi all,

I just bought a Musical Fidelity V-DAC and now I am struggling with the JRiver output settings. ASIO and WASAPI do not work: any FLAC files with sample freq. higher than 48K will not play. Kernel Streaming does not work either.
Direct sound does work: the music plays. Unfortunately the V-DAC does not show sample frequency while playing, so I am not sure I get the most out of it.
Does anybody know how to configure JRiver in order to get the most out of this V-DAC?

Thanks

Everett

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Musical Fidelity V-Dac settings
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 06:40:59 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

Are you using MC15.0.142?

This article on our wiki might be useful:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

What OS are you using?

Everett

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 04:39:38 am »

Thanks for your reply.

I use MC15.0.95
My OS is Windows 7. I use a dedicated laptop with no other purpose than to play music. I recently did a clean install of Windows 7. And I read this article:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Windows-7-Audio-JRiver-Media-Center-14-Configuration

and adjusted my settings accordingly: Exclusive mode, with both boxed checked.

I read the article you pointed me to. It is clear and helpful, but does not solve the issue: I already intended to use either ASIO or WASAPI output mode.
I have ASIO4ALLV2 installed. Before I bought this V-DAC, my audio supplier let me use the Ayre QB9 DAC. A great machine, but unforunately a bit too expensive for me now... It worked with the same laptop set up, using ASIO as output mode. The sample frequency showed correctly on the DAC dislplay (until 96K, because that's as far as the DAC goes...).

But now with this V-DAC ASIO and WASAPI do not work anymore.

Also I have problems with "Output format" under DSP Studio: I check the box, but see no options for setting bit depths etc. that I have been raeding about. Any further help would be highly appreciated

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:39:36 am »

Try updating to 15.0.142.  It's on the download page.  Then try the WASAPI Event Driven mode.  There are two different WASAPI modes.

Don't use any DSP until the sound is working correctly.  It introduces other variables.

Everett

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:26:11 am »

Thanks for your post. In the mean time I solved the issue myself... It turns out that the V-DAC itself is limited to 16bit/44kHz when using the USB input mode. Read so in the article in Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/musical_fidelity_v-dac_da_processor/index4.html
So I had to switch to digital coax, which supports sample frequencies up to 192kHz. Fortunately I also have the M2tech Hiface 192kHz digital audio interface, to get from my laptop (USB) to the digital coax input of the V-DAC. The manual of the HiFace states Kernel Streaming is the preferred output mode. When you select that option in MC15, the HiFace already shows as output device. I connected everything and it's working! It really sounds great, 96 KHz, 192 kHz, everything!

PS. don't forget to select all the correct sample rates under "supported formats" when setting up the HiFace under Windows 7.

Thanks for your time though! Again, highly appreciated.

mdx1

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 12:37:50 pm »

Thanks for your post. In the mean time I solved the issue myself... It turns out that the V-DAC itself is limited to 16bit/44kHz when using the USB input mode. Read so in the article in Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcomponents/musical_fidelity_v-dac_da_processor/index4.html
So I had to switch to digital coax, which supports sample frequencies up to 192kHz. Fortunately I also have the M2tech Hiface 192kHz digital audio interface, to get from my laptop (USB) to the digital coax input of the V-DAC. The manual of the HiFace states Kernel Streaming is the preferred output mode. When you select that option in MC15, the HiFace already shows as output device. I connected everything and it's working! It really sounds great, 96 KHz, 192 kHz, everything!

Do you know if the V-DAC actually supports 24/192 through its coax input?  The hiFace does but from what I read, the V-DAC only does 24/96 according to the Stereophile review.

"...which also handles data up to 24-bit resolution and sample rates up to 96kHz from the TosLink and coaxial S/PDIF ports."

The M1 supports 24/192 with the coax input and only does 24/96 on the toslink.  This is one of the reasons I went with the M1 DAC for the 24/192 support.  Both upsample the input to 24/192.  The M1 DAC may just pass the 24/192 signal through without upsampling.

Have you tried the WSAPI-event style with the the hiFace, it seemed to work even better than the kernel streaming mode.  The ASIO4ALL is no longer used or needed for the hiFace on my Windows 7 HTPC running MC 15.0.150.

Nelson

dcyel

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 02:34:04 pm »

Was wondering if a Creative or Asus usb external sound card doing 24/96 connected optically to the V-DAC would make the dac sample to 24/192 ?

Or can I expect some punishment in the sound quality streaming over two devices ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up