INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream Podcast to PS3  (Read 5465 times)

maransoftware

• Recent member
Stream Podcast to PS3
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:56:12 pm »

Hello

I have used TVersity to stream podcasts to my PS3. I now have Media Center 15 (a great product by the way) and would like to stream my podcasts to my PS3. Is this possible?

Thanks

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stream Podcast to PS3
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 05:07:52 pm »

Create a view Item called Podcasts under audio in your Media Network DLNA server options (customize view).
I did one and added categories for Artist and Date Created to get nicely sorted folders on the renderer.

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:52:12 pm »

Thanks. Will this work for video podcasts?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 04:12:00 pm »

Thanks. Will this work for video podcasts?
I haven't tried it but I'd think so if you just created a podcasts item under video and under "set rules for file display" specified the media sub type as podcast and the media type as video you should be good to go.

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »

Thanks a lot. I can now list the items on the PS3 but when I try to play them I get "The data is corrupted" messages. An example of the podcasts I am trying to view are the ones on G4TV.com. Thanks for any more advice you could give.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:08:15 am »

Thanks a lot. I can now list the items on the PS3 but when I try to play them I get "The data is corrupted" messages. An example of the podcasts I am trying to view are the ones on G4TV.com. Thanks for any more advice you could give.
I didn't see anything there to indicate the format that the podcasts are in however if they won't play they are probably in a format the PS3 doesn't support. You should turn on the video conversion option and choose mpeg2/dvd stream. If you have other video content you don't want to access converted, you can just create another server and change the display name on one to "PS3 - conversions" and the other just "PS3" (that's my layout for example).

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:31:05 pm »

Thanks for your patience. Do I need to do anything else to switch on the conversion? I'm still getting the error. After creating a new server I selected convert to MPEG2/DVD. Is there anything else needed? There is conversion on the "Library Server Client" do I need to select MPEG2/DVD there also? Thanks again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 03:39:32 pm »

Thanks for your patience. Do I need to do anything else to switch on the conversion? I'm still getting the error. After creating a new server I selected convert to MPEG2/DVD. Is there anything else needed? There is conversion on the "Library Server Client" do I need to select MPEG2/DVD there also? Thanks again.
You aren't using the library server with the PS3 unless you have 2 machines running MC, one as a library server and the other as a dlna server. Is that what you are doing?

You should just be able to select the server you created on the PS3, go to video podcasts, select one and have it play. Do you have other video content you can test with the converting server?

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 04:06:01 pm »

I have one machine which doubles up as a DLNA server and a library server. I have other movies in my library, I will try and convert one to mpeg2 to see if that works. I tried a DIVX trailer which seemed to work ok.

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 04:23:38 pm »

I just tried some other videos. 99% of the ones I have are .avi files and they all work fine. The only ones that don't work are mp4 files. Does this give a clue?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 04:57:50 pm »

That does sound suspicious. Can you email me a (small) one, bob (at) jriver (dot) com.
When you look at the downloaded podcasts, is the podcast an mp4 file?

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 05:45:43 pm »

The smallest file is approx 24MB zipped. Is that OK? The file is downloaded as an MP4 file.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 12:16:26 pm »

I got it, thanks.
Works on my PS3 however, you MUST have the ps3 compatible switch enabled (or use the playstation 3 server choice when creating the DLNA server).

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 01:57:37 pm »

Do I need any converters installed?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 02:09:04 pm »

Do I need any converters installed?
It plays with and without conversion on my PS3 (mpeg2 conversion if you use it).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 02:51:38 pm »

One other thing, the DLNA flags are calculated from the codecs and related information. On my MC it shows the following for the file you sent:

compression: mp4 video (video: avc1, audio: Raw AAC)
and for the audio characteristics:
Sample Rate: 44100
Channels: 2
Bit Depth: 16

You can enable showing those fields for video. If you don't see those values, you'd probably have trouble playing this file on the PS3. In that case, you can try "update library from tags" to force reevaluation of the video file.

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 03:49:06 pm »

Could you let me know where these options are? Thanks again for your patience.

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 03:51:48 pm »

Ah! I found the "update library from tags" when I did that it said "1 failure". I assume that means there are no values in the tags?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 04:52:47 pm »

Ah! I found the "update library from tags" when I did that it said "1 failure". I assume that means there are no values in the tags?
Hmmm, I'm not sure. Parsing of video files is pretty complicated, I'm not the expert there. IIRC the way it works is that there needs to be a direct show built when reading the file. I wonder what your system is using to try and read it. Do you have CCCP installed? What OS are you using? If your system is using quicktime for example to play the file on your PC, then it probably can't build a direct show graph...

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 05:05:57 pm »

Ok Bob. I think I've been silly. I selected one of the podcasts and selected "Download File" from the menu. I then found the file on the ps3 menu and it played Ok ::) . My question now is how do I get the podcasts to download without interacting with MC every time? It appears that the list on the PS3 is just a link (http?) and not the actual file. Apologies but I'm new to MC. I do have CCCP but I'm not really sure what it does.

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 04:17:55 am »

Success! I've finally fixed the problems. The thing that confused me was that even though I could view the podcasts in MC without downloading I had to download the file in order for it to be streamed to my PS3. Thanks again for your patience, there are so many features of MC, I think I will have fun finding out how to use them all.  ;)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 09:24:29 am »

Success! I've finally fixed the problems. The thing that confused me was that even though I could view the podcasts in MC without downloading I had to download the file in order for it to be streamed to my PS3. Thanks again for your patience, there are so many features of MC, I think I will have fun finding out how to use them all.  ;)
Glad you got it! I assumed the podcast was already downloaded, bad assumption on my part. If you go to the podcast and do "Edit this Feed" and select Download -> Newest Episode you'll get the podcast downloaded automatically.

maransoftware

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 04:14:33 pm »

Thanks. That worked perfectly. Many thanks for your help. :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up