INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing between Server and Client faulty  (Read 1679 times)

globetrotters1

• Citizen of the Universe
Syncing between Server and Client faulty
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:28:16 pm »

Another thing which you might have to check please:

- I want to change tags within the 'recently imported' playlist on a correctly connected client (which has 3 monitors, better to work)
- the server is correctly configured
- I change different tag fields of an album
- they show fine on the client
- I delete the lines off the list and move on to the next album
- after some time (5 to 10 minutes) some of these already deleted albums show up again on the same 'recently imported' playlist only with SOME of the tag fields filled, the rest is empty

So my guess is that the syncing process has some problems...

Please check
:)

PS: this behaviour has been introduces with the new "automatic" syncing scheme, version 145

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Syncing between Server and Client faulty
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:07:00 pm »

Changes to Views are not saved when made from the Client side.  This includes things like Playing Now and the last-used view, and other items.  I think normal static playlists do update when changed via the Client, but things like the Recently Imported view are probably not included.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

globetrotters1

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:42:18 pm »

glynor,

you misunderstood... it's NOT the view... it's the tag data! That's the whole sense of having client data synced with the server... I just want to fill in additional tag data after the automatic import... which worked fine before... then I had to do the syncing myself... with the new 'automatic' syncing version the value of the tag fields get sometimes updated on the server and sometimes not...

not very convenient and a loss of work time...
:(

PS: until now I thought my english would be quite understandable, lol :) but now I start to doubt it... but I can explain it also in german, spanish or french :) :) :)

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:00:04 pm »

Have you set up authentication of the library that is served (Tools --> Options --> Media Network --> Library Server)? I believe that this needs to be set (according to the Wiki - although in parts this is very out of date). I had similar issues and setting up authentication seems to have resolved this little problem, although cover art updating still seems to be problematic.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 06:02:29 pm »

Yep.  You need to enable BOTH automatic sync and authentication.  If you don't have a username/password, then it will silently fail.

I haven't had any trouble with tag data syncing properly.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

haylo75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:23:33 am »

I'm using MC 15.0.150.  I can also confirm that, with both authentication and automatic sync enabled, tag changes issued from my client are being synced to the server.

Yep.  You need to enable BOTH automatic sync and authentication.  If you don't have a username/password, then it will silently fail.

I haven't had any trouble with tag data syncing properly.
Kerr

globetrotters1

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 09:57:33 am »

well, well...

On the server I have everything (including authentication) set the right way (I think)

On the client I have a check-mark under 'Media Network'-'Automatically sync...', which has ALSO a check-mark on the server... might this be the problem?

OK, I check this without the sync check-mark on the server side

globetrotters1

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 10:35:46 am »

I tested it with version 150

and it is the checkmark in the option field 'sync changes from the client to the server' which creates the mentioned problem...

If you set that field also on the server side, there is a nasty ping-pong effect (which would be easy to avoid if there would be just the main choice... two main checkmarks... server or client... and that you cannot set BOTH

----

topic not closed :) it doesn't work really...

I thought it would...

But I filled in tag values... moved down on the list to the list of performers...

and suddenly tags I had filled in before were empty again...

something, my friends, is wrong... something doesn't work correctly...

thanks

globetrotters1

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 12:20:23 pm »

and now I know a bit more...

If you have a tag with ';' delimiter... and you fill the values in and when done you hit <TAB> to move on to the next or <ENTER> to end the input, suddenly the contents of the former or of two former field(s) is/are empty again... (I had several such cases now)

VERY STRANGE  ?

too bad, but until someone has figured out what is happening here, there is no way to change tag values on a client... something is inconsistent... well, I do the tag changes for the next future strictly on the server again... (hope that this doesn't happen there too, but if it does, I'll report it)

thanks

haylo75

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 06:22:31 pm »

On my Server, I have had and continue to have the "Automatically sync changes made on client back to server" unchecked.

I've not changed any list type tags, though on my client I just changed the Genre tag for two albums.  Within about a minute, said changes appeared on the server.  So, I'm not having any troubles, but I hope yours get sorted.
Kerr
Pages: [1]   Go Up