INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video search in "Genres" mode. How to put all TV shows in one file  (Read 1198 times)

mazspeed

• Recent member

Ok, so if I am in Genres mode, or file mode or movie mode or date mode, I can see all my movies and TV shows. What I want to do is not see all my TV shows, but have them as one file instead of having tons of shows over populating my screen. For example. I have around 300 blu ray movies, but I have a ton of TV shows and every time I use any of the "video" modes no matter if it's Genres or files or whatever, the TV shows take up a ton of visual space. I hope this makes sense. So how would I take a bunch of the same TV shows like "Two and a half men" and make it so I only see one file, hit that and then have all my other files?
I'm not sure I explained this to where anyone can understand it. I have had a few beers so bear with me. :)

Mike

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video search in "Genres" mode. How to put all TV shows in one file
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 02:53:37 am »

I had the same problem. I devided it into this categories: Series, DVD & HD, Divx, Music Videos etc.

You can use the built in library field called Media Sub Type, or you could make your own library field. I've made my own, called Video Type. The reason why I use my own, it that I can add any items I want. After you have made this field and added the videos to each tag, you'll have to set up some views.

You can use the existing views and edit, or you can make new ones. I have one Video view with nested video categories. The smart thing would probably be to limit the views to the type of video type you want. Where you do this, or how is hard to explain without knowing if you want this for Theater View or Standard View.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

mazspeed

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:46:45 pm »

How do I  get to "library field"? Thanks for the response.  ;D

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 02:12:31 am »

If you don't know, you should look through all the options under tools. There is a log of useful things there :) Long story short:

Library Fields: Tools -> Options -> Library & Folders -> Manage Library Fields - Add New Field
Add Views for Theater View: Tools -> Options -> Theater View -> Add for instance "Series", nest it so it ends up under "Video", Set Rules for display to your new library field = Series
Add Views for Normal View: Right click the Video category in the tree ->  Customize current, or make a new one. Add Video Type as a new category, together with normal stuff like, name, year, genre etc.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 02:25:52 am »

For what it is worth, I Break my Videos up by Genre --> Artist --> Album just like you would with music (pic below).  Keeps everthing in it place and works great for Music Videos.
JRiver CEO Elect

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 03:09:03 am »

To use genre is a good idea, if you know that you'll never use genre for movies. If you want that in the future, it will be a bit messy with the video "categories" in the soup as well. That's why I chose to make a new library field. But we all have or different preferences.
Pages: [1]   Go Up